Questions about tethering!

Last Updated:

1. blacksocksdirty

blacksocksdirty New Member This Topic's Starter

So I've used the free trials for PDAnet and easytether. They both seem to work the same. Is one better than the other?

I'm thinking of going with easytether to save the 20 bucks. Is that a good enough reason?!

The people at several verizon stores have said they are going to block this whole tethering thing. Just a rumor maybe? Why would they bother telling people this if they are trying to sell the phones and make comission on them?

Advertisement
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Or, you could root and install WiFi tether for free (unlimited) use. Allows you to create a hot spot for several people to share without having to use the USB.

3. blacksocksdirty

blacksocksdirty New Member This Topic's Starter

That sounds nice and all but I have no idea how to do that!!

4. melissab

melissab Active Member

:DThis is what I'm planning to do as soon as I can find the time. There are wonderful walkthroughs on the rooting thread!!

5. xavious85

xavious85 Well-Known Member

So I just moved in New York City into my friends apartment while he's in Boston on a project. He had cancelled his internet access so I'm thankful that I have my phone rooted and wireless tethering installed. My question is will Verizon be able to detect what I am doing? I don't really plan on using much bandwidth, just need to check stuff here and there on a laptop. Is there a 5 gig limit (I heard this somewhere)?

6. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

5 GB is more for business users. I was told be Verizon that unlimited really meant "unlimited".

7. xavious85

xavious85 Well-Known Member

Good to hear! I'm wondering if I'll be able to tether to my 360...probably would be a really crappy connection though.

8. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

I tried that and you can download but you cant play online against people.

9. sdguy67

sdguy67 Well-Known Member

When I had my old blackberry, I read several stories about tethering being against Verizons contract, and that Verizon had slammed people with several hundred dollar bills due to the tethering. Is this no longer the case?

10. JKaiz

JKaiz Well-Known Member

I read somewhere on this forum (might be wrong) but if you use pda net it is impossible for verizon to tell you are tethering. I don't think that's a pdanet exclusive thing either, but I don't think verizon can tell (other than an enormous amount of data)

11. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I always hear this but its always a friend of a friend had it happen. I actually dont tether cause I have no need to but I think they would be hard pressed to prove you are tethering unless you really abuse it.