• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about the phone.

t12b25

Android Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2012
Miami , Fl
Hi everybody, I'm interested in getting me a stylo I've got some questions. I see the stylo has band 12. Does it also have VOlte?. How's the camera?. How's the speaker? Is it loud enough?. Is the screen bright enough in the sun?. How's the battery life, screen on time?. Really what I'm looking for is user experience and opinions. Thank you for the help.
Anthony.

Last edited:
I don't have any issue with the laud speaker or the earpiece. Though it could depend on your hearing.

Camera has been ok for me, I don't use it much so I can't really compare it to other phones.

Battery has been pretty good for the most part. Drains a little faster if I play a game more than an hour. I had the SG Mega 6.3 before this phone and the battery drained a lot quicker on that.

The screen brightness is pretty good. I've used it in the Sun with no issues. Some guy was saying he had a hard time using it with polarized sunglasses. (I have no clue what those are)

There are only two negatives I have with the phone.

1. I don't seem to get the data speeds with this phone as I did with the Mega. I get about 10mbp inside and about 20 to 30mbp out side. With the mega I always got 100mbp outside and 30 to 50mbp inside.

2. The stylus, there really is no point in having it. It does nothing.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Thank you a for the replies. Is it worth the upgrade from a zmax?. Stylo looks like a good phone too with some extras.
Anthony.

I can't really say to much. I only played with the Zmax in the store. But from playing with it. I think the Stylo is a better phone. Maybe someone that has had the Zmax can answer that better.

here are some comparison links for you:

Last edited:
Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I can't really say to much. I only played with the Zmax in the store. But from playing with it. I think the Stylo is a better phone. Maybe someone that has had the Zmax can answer that better.
I mostly think so too. It's just battery life that worries me. I'm getting 6:30-7 hours of screen on time with the zmax and a more stock experience, I tend to be a kind of heavy user , the stylo is better.
Anthony.

Upvote 0
I mostly think so too. It's just battery life that worries me. I'm getting 6:30-7 hours of screen on time with the zmax and a more stock experience, I tend to be a kind of heavy user , the stylo is better.
Anthony.

the LG launcher is pretty close to googles launcher. You could always just download it. For battery life. You can get a second battery. The LG G4 battery works in the Stylo.

Let me ask you this. If you already have the Zmax, why are you looking to move on to the Stylo?

Upvote 0
the LG launcher is pretty close to googles launcher. You could always just download it. For battery life. You can get a second battery. The LG G4 battery works in the Stylo.

Let me ask you this. If you already have the Zmax, why are you looking to move on to the Stylo?
Mostly band 12 and VOlte. Why?. My reception varies mostly good on lte though , and h+ when on a call is usually spotty. Last night for example my call was a bit garbled needed to move around . Thinking I need better building penetration and this is with two Towers right near me. Nearest one is 0.2 miles away
. Zmax sometimes gets too hot and screen is dimmer, I keep the brightness down in house today when I went out I had a hard time seeing it to turn up the brightness. Other than that no other reason.
Anthony.

Upvote 0
Mostly band 12 and VOlte. Why?. My reception varies mostly good on lte though , and h+ when on a call is usually spotty. Last night for example my call was a bit garbled needed to move around . Thinking I need better building penetration and this is with two Towers right near me. Nearest one is 0.2 miles away
. Zmax sometimes gets too hot and screen is dimmer, I keep the brightness down in house today when I went out I had a hard time seeing it to turn up the brightness. Other than that no other reason.
Anthony.

with the stylo it doesn't drop outof LTE when making a call. That's one thing I do like

Upvote 0
I have the ZMAX and Stylo, and I prefer the Stylo for the better camera (especially using Snap Camera HDR, turning off Denoise, and adjusting brightness & contrast) and better screen. My ZMAX screen has a "bright spot" (kind of a short fat line) about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom and about 1/2" wide--looks almost like the legs of a chip are reflecting the backlight. (Aside from that, it's fine.) Also, with the Stylo, you don't have to swap the bootloader and recovery to each other's partitions to get system read-write.

Reactions: DB225
Upvote 0
Hi everybody, I'm interested in getting me a stylo I've got some questions. I see the stylo has band 12. Does it also have VOlte?. How's the camera?. How's the speaker? Is it loud enough?. Is the screen bright enough in the sun?. How's the battery life, screen on time?. Really what I'm looking for is user experience and opinions. Thank you for the help.
Anthony.

Yes on band 12, yes VoLTE, Camera is good, interface is like the G4, just fewer options, but autofocus is fast.
Speaker does good enough, I do cup my hand while holding it watching youtube, to amplify the sound.
But that with all phone with a rear speakers.

Screen gets bright for outdoors. 3000mAh battery does great. More then all day. The lack of quad HD screen probably helps. Not pumping 4x pixels on the screen all the time. I slapped a tempered glass screen protector, and bodyglove satin case on it, it holds up nicely.

I did get the Metro/Tmobile 2gb ram/16gb storage version. With 32gb sd storage mainly for the camera.
Stock Lolipop 5.1.1 with LG UX.

Reactions: DB225
Upvote 0
Sorry may be going a touch off topic but Im also considering Stylo vs this new Zte Elite which appears to have better specs but a marginally smaller screen by abt 2 1/10's
The ZTE Warp Elite looks like a nice phone,definitely comparable to the LG G Stylo.
A solid option for those on BoostMobile.
I would bet MetroPCS &/or Cricket get it as well sometime soon.................

Upvote 0
How does the stylo feel in hand?. I wouldn't want anything slippery.
The Stylo feels quite nice in-hand:
The curved back & ever-so slight texturing make for both a comfortable & secure fit.
I dig the silver coloring paired up w/the snakeskin-scale texturing,looks quite nice.
nexus2cee_stylo-rear.jpg

Reactions: DB225 and viperdink
Upvote 0
Mine doesn't.
That could be due to it being rooted & having a lot of the bloatware/unnecessary GoogleApps disabled/frozen.
One thing I did notice w/another phone of mine just the other day:
If you're copying big files (TWRP backups,for example) from internal to external,the area around the SD Card slot may get warm or downright hot.
Just something to keep in mind.
Also,if you're gonna do a LINK2SD type of mod,& run a lot of apps off of the external SD Card,it will get warm.
Heavy use like this may wear out the card eventually,so,if you're storing important items on the SD Card,it wouldn't hurt to copy 'em on to another source (desktop PC).
Ditto with recovery/nandroid backups if rooted.

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
My 2 cents:

I like the Bodyglove satin charcoal grey case a lot. It has indents on sides for better grip on the phone.

I actually do use the stylus pen on occasion. It is good if you take a Quick Memo picture and want to draw on it.

Also, it is useful if you play the game "Fallout Shelter" for dragging the tiny people to different rooms.

Upvote 0
I always put a case on all my phones. (OCD thing) but even with out one. the phone feels great. they designed it to fit the hand comfortably. With the placement of the buttons on the back and the slight roundness to the back. The cover on it feels good. It's not slippery at all. (Maybe only if you have sawft moisturized hands it would be slippery.) It doesn't really feel like cheep plastic. I haven't had any over heating. even when playing games on it.

Upvote 0
I'll give it a few days and see about it. I don't think this has the zmax battery . so far I've had connection issues with the play store downloading apps seems to be very slow no clue why. Did heat up to 103 not hotter than the zmax but still. Question can i activate double tap to wake/sleep with nova launcher?. Thank you
Anthony.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones