• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Questions about upgrading to 2.2 Froyo

Tedred1339

Sep 3, 2010
Hey everyone

Let me start off by saying I LOVE my Droid Incredible.

The internet, with or without Wi-Fi is LIGHTNING fast, it works perfectly, there is nothing I want it to do that it seems to be incapable of. The only minor complaint I have is that the battery life is a little worse than I would Ideally like, but I usually am pretty close to a charger, so no big deal.

Yesterday, I recieved notification that the upgrade to 2.2 was available, and I had been looking forward to it for weeks. I hit "install later" and every half hour I have been getting the notification that the update is available, and ignoring it until it pops back up a half hour or so later.

Here are the things I am afraid it will mess up, so I hope someone here can tell me if these are valid concerns:

1. I am running exchange for my company email, which has been a great thing to have. I run an application called "lockpicker" which allows me to bypass the Exchange Lock screen, which made me put in a password every time I would turn my phone off, or every time I would shut off the screen (which was VERY annoying). I have had no problems with my work email, connecting to it, or with the exchange lock screen since installing lockpicker. In fact, its like the lock screen doesnt even exist, which I love.

I hear that lockpicker is NOT compatible with Froyo 2.2, which makes me extremely nervous about upgrading, because if I have to put in a code every time my phone goes to sleep, I will like the phone a lot less.

2. Google Listen - I use this program to listen to 5-6 podcasts that I subscribe to and I find that while it does have some bugs, its simple and the easiest way I have found to organize my podcasts and listen to them. I hear that this doesnt work anymore with 2.2 either (although I could be wrong)

3. Battery Life - I have heard in some instances, peoples batteries have gotten 20-30% worse with this update.

4. No More Advanced Task Killer - Doesnt work at all on 2.2 from what I hear, and now 2.2 has included a TON of unremovable applications which are constantly running and draining battery, according to what I hear.

5. Afraid some of the other apps I have now, all of which are working perfectly, will also lose functionality and stop working.

My first question is, how do I STOP these notifications to update from coming into my phone every half hour, should I just ignore the updates every half hour, and live with the pop ups forever? Secondly, is anyones MS exchange totally screwed up from this update? Also, if so many people are having problems with this update, are they going to patch it/fix it and send out a version that actually works?

From what I have heard, the fact that they are making it impossible to remove apps that 2.2 automatically installs (Skype, City ID, VZ navigator, etc) is AWFUL. This is supposed to be a customizable phone, and if you cant even remove something as simple as Skype, that is pathetic.

Thanks in advance for the help!

1. I am running exchange for my company email, which has been a great thing to have. I run an application called "lockpicker" which allows me to bypass the Exchange Lock screen, which made me put in a password every time I would turn my phone off, or every time I would shut off the screen (which was VERY annoying). I have had no problems with my work email, connecting to it, or with the exchange lock screen since installing lockpicker. In fact, its like the lock screen doesnt even exist, which I love.

I hear that lockpicker is NOT compatible with Froyo 2.2, which makes me extremely nervous about upgrading, because if I have to put in a code every time my phone goes to sleep, I will like the phone a lot less.

There are comments on the app that say (specifically incredible users) that the app is in fact working with froyo. That's not to say it'll be 100%, and problems may arise seeing as the developer himself has stated it's not working correctly. I'd say give him a bit of time and he'll fix it. :)

2. Google Listen - I use this program to listen to 5-6 podcasts that I subscribe to and I find that while it does have some bugs, its simple and the easiest way I have found to organize my podcasts and listen to them. I hear that this doesnt work anymore with 2.2 either (although I could be wrong)

This one happens to be made by google. Some users are in fact saying there have been problems. It could be it's specific to each users' phone settings or it could be something more widespread. If you have problems I would suggest wiping the app data and possibly reinstalling it entirely.

3. Battery Life - I have heard in some instances, peoples batteries have gotten 20-30% worse with this update.

That's typically because people don't want to accept that in froyo a task killer is simply a bad idea....froyo manages everything for you. That includes all the bloatware they added in the update. Anything you're not using gets moved to the background where no cpu cycles are happening, therefore no battery is being drained. It will, however, remain in the memory until the device runs low on memory at which point it will be terminated to make use of that memory.

In other cases it's a buggy application or settings keeping their phones awake. This is why factory resets are recommended.

4. No More Advanced Task Killer - Doesnt work at all on 2.2 from what I hear, and now 2.2 has included a TON of unremovable applications which are constantly running and draining battery, according to what I hear.

See above. There are..3? extra apps? VZ navigator, amazon mp3, and Skype. I'm not sure you can count the hotspot...that's more a utility. I personally use Skype so that was nothing new to me. I actually suggest checking it out. You can call other skype users skype to skype over the data network and save minutes. I mostly use it to talk to friends in other countries. :)

5. Afraid some of the other apps I have now, all of which are working perfectly, will also lose functionality and stop working.

They will be updated with time. If not, something else will come up. Necessity is the mother of invention.

My first question is, how do I STOP these notifications to update from coming into my phone every half hour, should I just ignore the updates every half hour, and live with the pop ups forever? Secondly, is anyones MS exchange totally screwed up from this update? Also, if so many people are having problems with this update, are they going to patch it/fix it and send out a version that actually works?

I'm not sure you CAN stop the update. As for the people having problems...as I stated above it's usually caused by problematic apps and or settings. A leap in operating systems like this can be very rough. It's a 50/50 shot if it'll go flawlessly for you or not. If it doesn't, I suggest a factory reset. I don't use many apps at all and I found it went flawlessly for me. I have gotten nothing but improvements.

From what I have heard, the fact that they are making it impossible to remove apps that 2.2 automatically installs (Skype, City ID, VZ navigator, etc) is AWFUL. This is supposed to be a customizable phone, and if you cant even remove something as simple as Skype, that is pathetic.

To be honest, the bloatware was there before as well. I do also hate there are aspects about these amazing phones (I directly avoided an 'incredible' pun on purpose) that you can't control...but at least froyo is a step forward in the phone self-managing the resources. If you don't use them...they won't be active. City ID, however, is and always will be a pain in the ass. I'm sure someone will come along and tell you that you can always root and then apply the OTA update. Root allows you to get rid of the bloatware by completely unlocking your phone to you. Note that it will void your warranty and I can't give you proper advice on it seeing as I've never dealt with root. There is an entire forum sub-category dedicated to it that you might want to read, though. :)

Hope I helped! Thank you for at least having an open mind. I also suggest going back and reading through the thread your post got merged into, and doing some searches around the forums as well.

Edit: It seems your post wasn't merged....I swore it was. Anyways, here's a link to the thread started by another individual that talks about some of the things you were concerned with.

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/163476-why-i-am-going-pass-froyo.html

Reactions: Tedred1339
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your amazingly (trying to avoid the word incredible lol) detailed response. Do you think they will soon fix alot of the aspects update that seem to be messed up, and will send out a patch/fix for 2.2? I also wonder if anyone else is having trouble with their MS exchange company email, post update.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your amazingly (trying to avoid the word incredible lol) detailed response. Do you think they will soon fix alot of the aspects update that seem to be messed up, and will send out a patch/fix for 2.2? I also wonder if anyone else is having trouble with their MS exchange company email, post update.

Thanks again!

So far I have seen few actual problems with Froyo. Most things are just incompatibilities, user error, bad apps, or possibly bad hardware for a couple issues.

Slow charge? Done on purpose: it was actually charging too fast before and was causing damage to your battery, potentially over heating it and your phone.

Less battery life? So far almost every single one of these has been a downloaded app causing a problem. Theres a few people I am still working with so the issue there is unknown.

Lag/stuttering/etc? Glitches from stacking 2 OSes on top of each other. Wipe has fixed this every time. ( excluding browser lag. )

Browser lag? Flash 10.1 issue. You can already get your hands on the newer flash 10.1.92.2 that fixes almost all of this. Theres still a few issues with text entry on occasion.

Loss of 3G? Rare, and from the sounds and reactions of VZ it could be a rare hardware issue that is not compatible with the newer radio in Froyo. There does not appear to be anything wrong with the radio, it seems a rare issue that affects certain phones. Phone replacement should fix this. ( NOTE: I had a similar issue recently after messing with my wifi, and after further tinkering it went away. Still need to look into this some more. )

Earpiece not working? VZ this is just a rare hardware issue that does not play well with Froyo. Again, nothing wrong with froyo but a very minor defect from the factory that was not a factor with 2.1 is with 2.2. VZ is sending our replacements, and so far they appear to be working.

SD Card not displaying on computer? Appears to be a computer problem involving the new CD Img on the phone. Some peoples computers won't show all 3 drives, and SD card is the one that disappears as a result. Disabling the CD Img seems to fix this.

I think that covers the major issues. Yes, theres still some people here and there with issues that don't seem to be fixed by any of the above. I don't really think it is enough for a dedicated patch, but perhaps if they have a patch for other stuff they could add some fixes for some of this ( I'll bet most of it can not be fixed on their end for various reasons. Can't patch hardware, can't patch users apps, can't patch users settings, etc. ) so even if there is a patch, don't expect too much of it to be fixing Froyo bugs.

Course, I could always be completely wrong and they put out a patch fix every problem for every person. I think you know which is more likely though:)

Reactions: Tedred1339
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones