Questions about used G1, signing up for service, etc.General

Last Updated:

1. effluent

effluent Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm with Sprint and my contract is up..was looking to upgrade my phone or change carriers. Was considering the Moment or the Droid with Verizon(physical keyboard a must). But I just found out a friend has a G1 they'd be willing to give me. They moved here during the summer and there's not 3g here with TMobile so they switched to Sprint. It doesn't sound hard to get one of these unlocked, correct? So could I just take this phone after unlocking to an ATT store(for which we do have local 3g service) or call and get it set up for service? And not have any contract? FREEDOM? This isn't THE phone I'd pick all things being equal since it's an older model but for free and no contract it would be more than worth it for awhile.

Advertisement
  2. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

it should be easy enough, although the g1 will need to be unlocked so that it'll work on at&t
    as long as your friend has had t mobile for at least 90 days (it doesn't matter if he/she is still on tmobile or not) and used the phone on his tmobile account they should be nice about unlocking the phone for you for free.
    but your friend will have to be the one who makes the call as they'll need some account information to get you the unlock code

3. FlyerDroid

FlyerDroid Member

After unlocking the phone you should be able to use it on ATT network, no 3g though, only edge. I used to have the g1, its a nice phone, but found it awkward to type with, the chin gets in the way.

4. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

yeah, thanks flyerdroid, I forgot about that.
    at&t uses a different frequency for 3g than t-mobile.
    so If you do go to at&t you'll have to use 2g.
    2g is a little slower but you'll only have to pay $15 a month for it.

5. effluent

Well that's a bummer, 3g was why I was going to ATT over T-Mobile. Which would be cheaper?

6. Dustin

Dustin Active Member

Kind of on this topic, which carriers can you get 3g on with the g1? Just T-Mobile, or Verizon also?

7. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

the G1 is a GSM phone meaning you can only use it on GSM networks.
    At&t and T-mobile are the only gsm networks in the USA (as far as I know)
    you can only use the g1 on those networks, but you won't get 3g on At&t.

I don't know much about plan comparison, but if price is your main concern don't knock off at&t just because you won't get 3g.
    2g is fine and while 3g may be a little faster, I don't think the difference is as big as everyone makes it out to be

8. effluent

Hey if you use your own phone and aren't signing up for a contract do they still check your credit? Couple years ago Verizon wanted to charge a $400 deposit, but Sprint didn't.. Credit is better now so maybe not an issue but I was wondering.

9. FlyerDroid

FlyerDroid Member

I think they will check your credit no matter what. Just give them a call and see if a deposit is needed.