• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions after getting 2.1 OTA

Greetings All,

I've received 2.1 update yesterday and I was wondering if you guys can help me with few questions

1. The phone was not wiped when I got 2.1 - Is that normal? I heard and saw people saying we should backup first before OTA

2. Can someone please tell me how to add shortcuts to - Mobile network, settings on my home screen? unlike 1.5 it doesnt give me a option to add only mobile connect or any specific settings as shortcut on home screens

3. I know live wallpapers is something we all spoke about for 2.1. Thought I dont see myself using battery hogs, can someone please point few good ones just to have a look at "live wallpapers?"

4. how to have speech to text enabled? I dont see a mic option on my keyboard.

5.What apps did we miss when we had 1.5? Are there any good apps for only 2.1 and above? I know twitter is one but am happy with twitroid..

Apologize for asking too many questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Am in India BTW if you are wondering about 2.1 update.

1. The phone was not wiped when I got 2.1 - Is that normal? I heard and saw people saying we should backup first before OTA
Yes, so far it looks like all of the settings are preserved, even default ringtones and such. Only thing that is lost is homescreen configuration, background and lockscreen images. Or does anyone see something else that got lost?

2. Can someone please tell me how to add shortcuts to - Mobile network, settings on my home screen? unlike 1.5 it doesnt give me a option to add only mobile connect or any specific settings as shortcut on home screens
They're in the Widgets section, under "Settings" expandable option.

3. I know live wallpapers is something we all spoke about for 2.1. Thought I dont see myself using battery hogs, can someone please point few good ones just to have a look at "live wallpapers?"

4. how to have speech to text enabled? I dont see a mic option on my keyboard.

5.What apps did we miss when we had 1.5? Are there any good apps for only 2.1 and above? I know twitter is one but am happy with twitroid..

Apologize for asking too many questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Am in India BTW if you are wondering about 2.1 update.
No idea about the rest.

I have one question of my own - can anyone transfer files over Bluetooth after 2.1 update? It was one of the promised things for 2.x, but I can't see my Hero providing file transfer service over BT...

Upvote 0
I have one question of my own - can anyone transfer files over Bluetooth after 2.1 update? It was one of the promised things for 2.x, but I can't see my Hero providing file transfer service over BT...

Hey thanks for your help. Yes, we can transfer files using Bluetooth. I tried few mp3's and they get downloaded to your sd card.

By default its set "undiscoverable" Ensure you are changing the BT settings to discoverable and have an eye on timeout. If am not wrong, the session is alive for 150 secs.

Upvote 0
Hey thanks for your help. Yes, we can transfer files using Bluetooth. I tried few mp3's and they get downloaded to your sd card.

By default its set "undiscoverable" Ensure you are changing the BT settings to discoverable and have an eye on timeout. If am not wrong, the session is alive for 150 secs.
Yep, I found out that the problem was in my laptop - for some reason it can't properly enable its BT stack, blurts out some Windows error. Oh well, what else did I expect from a Microsoft OS? :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones