• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Questions and advice on if I should exchange for a new one.

anabolix

Dec 10, 2009
So I had my droid for about 2 weeks. Had absolutely no problems the first 5 days. Then it started force closing on messaging almost every time I hit around 200+ messages(I had it to not delete any messages.) and it would freeze the whole phone up and I would have to restart it....SO I installed handcent sms and had much fewer problems but still force closed about 6 times now, after lot more texts but at the same time that is a lot more texts I'm losing as well. And losing text messages is really annoying....what phone can't even text message without any problems(noting that its probably just my phone and not all moto droids).

DON'T GET ME WRONG! I love the motorola droid so much! Coming from old LG Chocolate 2, this phone is light years ahead and it is so cool.

Anyways this phone seems to have good and bad phases for example it'll be fine but than out of nowhere it will lag pretty bad. A better example is when the phones idle and the screen goes blank and I slide out the key board it takes 1-2 seconds for the screen to comeback on. Pretty annoying. Another problem is that the phone has been suddenly rebooting it self out of nowhere. I'll be texting than it freezes up for a second and I'll be like uhhh...than it restarts....

Ok these problems wouldn't bother me too much if the phone was like 5-12 months old...But I had the dang phone for 2 weeks and I'm really scared it might totally crap out on me after my 30 days (knowing my luck)..so I'm asking you guys if I should exchange it for a new one and what type of things to say to the person at the Verizon store so he doesn't get all up in my case other than the real problems I am having.

NOTE: I have like no 3rd party apps on here as well.

Sorry for the long post but I'm nervous and I want to have a droid that will last me a long time.

Cliffs:
1. Lags
2. Texting lags/freezes/force closes/deletes all texts- makes me angry.
3. Now rebooting out of nowhere here and there- plain pain in the a**.
4. Worried and nervous that the phone will really start having issues after my 30 days because I have bad luck.
5. Wondering if I should exchange for a new one and what I should say to the Verizon employee other than the real problems I am having to make things easier.

Thank you very much for your time and please help a fellow droid user out.

That was my thought as well...=(
I mean the phones brand new and its doing this so yeah your definitely right.

-Is the exchange for a new one going to be easy since my 30 days haven't passed?
-Anything I should do like delete all installed apps and say to make things easier and persuade the employee more in to giving me a new one?
-Or are my reasons downright enough to get a new one with out any problems?

Thanks alot

Upvote 0
If you are to the point of wanting to return with no other options, then you should trying fully resetting your phone to factory. That can solve a lot of fatal problems you might be having(software wise)... If you are going to return, thats how you will get your new phone anyways, may as well try it yourself before going through the hassle.

Be sure to back up what you need. there are several threads regarding that on here! :D

Upvote 0
I see....Do they let me keep my original SD card? Or do they take that as well?

And if I do mention the current problems and have the phone back to factory settings and everything deleted, will an exchange be easy or a pain in the a**?

In other words are they going to be understanding or just give me a new phone or be jerks?

thanks

Upvote 0
I see....Do they let me keep my original SD card? Or do they take that as well?

And if I do mention the current problems and have the phone back to factory settings and everything deleted, will an exchange be easy or a pain in the a**?

In other words are they going to be understanding or just give me a new phone or be jerks?

thanks

i was able to keep my sd card on exchange. just swapped with the new one.

if you still have problem after factory reset they should give you no hassle.

the rep that helped me insisted my problems were due to apps i had. so he factory reset mine... the problems persisted after a factory reset, so i was able to get a new phone.

edit: they were jerks the whole time. making statements like "well you have 150 apps installed, no one can know what will happen". when in reality. i had 10-15 at most. i finally told them that if they didn't want my business i'd return the phones(4) i bought there and buy them elsewhere. the manager obviously didn't want the revenue loss. small store. i was within my 30.

Upvote 0
I see. The problem is that "my" problems happen at the most random times and with my luck they are bound to disappear when I'm physically at the store. Unless you meant that he reset it and you came back saying that the problems are still there after a short amount of time like a couple of days?

By the way- factory reset...deletes and restores everything back to normal, correct?

thank you for being helpful.

Upvote 0
I see. The problem is that "my" problems happen at the most random times and with my luck they are bound to disappear when I'm physically at the store. Unless you meant that he reset it and you came back saying that the problems are still there after a short amount of time like a couple of days?

By the way- factory reset...deletes and restores everything back to normal, correct?

thank you for being helpful.

no prob.

it should bring it back to a 'out of the box' state. where you go through the tutorial and re-setup your phone with your gmail address.

Upvote 0
They shouldn't give you a hard time about it. You could do a factory reset on it, but with the type of problem you're having I wouldn't even chance it. You had the phone for - what - two weeks, and it worked for five days? That means you could reset it, and it could work great for another 5 days (or 10, or 20) and then the problems might start again. I wouldn't mess around with potentially bad hardware.

Upvote 0
Yeah I pretty much have the mind set to demand a new droid. A new phone should not be behaving this way..especially for a phone that is not cheap. If the guy gives me a hard time I will certainly be ready to get back at em.

one of the many lines i used while getting my new phone was: "Ok, if you don't want my money or 2 year contract, i know Att does and they have the iphone!"

lol.

I had a very young manager lady at my store. She def didn't seem experienced in customer service to the level of VZW... not to mention the 17 y/o they had as a 'tech' didn't know much more than the manual tells you.

i guess i'm old. lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones