• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Questions before rooting

blahgman

Lurker
Jul 14, 2011
Well I've had my droid X for quite awhile now and have decided to finally root it. I'm completely new to this sort of thing (1st smartphone as well), and while the stickies/other threads are helpful, I have some questions I can't find answers to, as well as a lot of them being outdated. I'd also like to be sure on everything before I do anything that could potentially ruin my precious phone :D

Version is .605 and I've been mostly looking at the thread [TUTORIAL]Simple Gingerbread .602 SBF and Root Process (Updated 9.9.11)

So in the thread, it says that Psouza's 1 click root will root version .605 as well as .602, so my main question is why do I need to SBF my phone to .602? It's the first step, and the most confusing for me so far. I understand that it makes the phone like it's out of the box new, but I don't get why I need to SBF the phone...? I'd rather not if possible because I don't want all my app data/game saves deleted (and I can't find a way to back these up without having a rooted device *sigh*). Or is it possible to SBF the phone without everything being deleted like another source I read? It's also confusing with all the conflicting tutorials I've read, some say to SBF, some don't even mention it.

Also, the last step in the thread is about installing a custom rom. I'm pretty sure I know the answer is no, but is this necessary? I've been using launcher pro and I like the look of my phone and would rather not mess with this right at the start (maybe eventually though). Also, what are the advantages of using a custom ROM?

Simple version: Can I just use the Psouza4's 1 click root without SBF'ing my phone or installing a custom rom and be rooted?

Last but not least, I've read that the 1 click root method is easy and I shouldn't have any problem with it. Once it's done, and (if) I don't install any custom roms, is that pretty much it? Like...it's rooted and I can then take full control over the device and apps, as well as start using apps that require rooting immediately? It almost seems too easy lol :)

Sorry for the noob questions, but I just can't find some answers and like I said, I *REALLY* want to know what I'm doing in full before rooting it. And thanks in advance, I don't post much but I lurk alot in the droid x forums and everyone is incredibly helpful. If you need any other info, just let me know, and after I get everything answered and in order I'll let you know how it goes!

So in the thread, it says that Psouza's 1 click root will root version .605 as well as .602, so my main question is why do I need to SBF my phone to .602?
No if your already on .605 don't do an SBF. That step is in there for people that may not be on the .602. Or in case something goes wrong with the process then you'll need to do that step.

Also, the last step in the thread is about installing a custom rom. I'm pretty sure I know the answer is no, but is this necessary?
No it's not necessary. RoMs offer improved performance as well as more customizing features. Its really up to you. If your happy on stock then by all means stay there.

Simple version: Can I just use the Psouza4's 1 click root without SBF'ing my phone or installing a custom rom and be rooted?
Yes

Last but not least, I've read that the 1 click root method is easy and I shouldn't have any problem with it. Once it's done, and (if) I don't install any custom roms, is that pretty much it? Like...it's rooted and I can then take full control over the device and apps, as well as start using apps that require rooting immediately? It almost seems too easy lol :)
Yes that is it. It may be a good idea after you root to do a Nandroid Backup

let us know if you have any issues.

Reactions: blahgman
Upvote 0
let us know if you have any issues.

Wow you weren't kidding, it really was that easy. Took about 10 minutes or so, the 1 click root worked perfectly. No issues and checked with rootchecker which said everything was ok. Thanks!!!:D

About nandroid, where do I find this? I keep reading about nandroid but can't find it in market. I found a guide for how to create a backup with it and it says it is part of Clockworkmod rom manager, is this true? It comes up first in a search through market, can't find anything actually called nandroid.

Upvote 0
Rom Manager is all most phones/tablets have. It's great for downloading nightly builds for roms that support it and EXCELLENT for managing your backups (delete, rename to an informative name). I update both ways (that sounds bad :D)... in recovery or via Rom Manager.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS make a backup before you make any questionable changes or install a rom or theme.

You should also install Titanium Backup and start backing up your apps/data. The pro version lets you keep more than one copy of an app (I have mine set to the last 5 versions) and makes restoring lots of apps a LOT easier. I purchased both RM and TIBU... both excellent apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones