Questions on Apps2SD and xtrRom

Last Updated:

1. PiperCub49

PiperCub49 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Dec 29, 2009

Just to get it out there, I'm running EE 3.0, and it's pretty nice. My problem is that I've now run out of memory. I have my apps cleaned to just the ones that I actually use, but I only have about 300KB left!:eek:

Of course, the solution is a2sd, but it is sounding like it is hard to do. :confused: I'm a little worried about wiping my SD card and which level my SD card is (it's stock), looking at Darktremor's apps2sd guide. Can I have some help with a step-by-step or tutorial?

Now on to the xtrRom questions. As I understand it, xtrRom would come with a2sd. I would like to try this rom, but again, it's the whole wiping, dalvik-cache dumping-thing that gets me worried. It interests me as to why you have to partition the card with this rom and not EE 3.0. Anyway, is there anything to backing up the SD card or is it just copy it all and paste?

Thanks for any help! You guys are always great...

2. SplicedX

SplicedX Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    I have been running xtr since version 3. the partition acts as an extension of the phone's internal memory. the apps2sd script, in a way, tricks the phone into thinking that the partition is internal phone memory. With that said, when you decide to partition, copy your SD to your computer to back it up. Then, in amon's recovery partition your card. I left the swap at 32mb and set the ext2 to 1024. Overkill, probably, but I have a 16gb card. Then convert the ext2 to ext3. Now you are all set for apps2sd. Copy your SD card back and put the xtrROM on the card then flash.
    Once set up, open gscripts and load apps2sd, then run the script. Reboot for script to take effect. Now you can go into the market and go to downloads and redownload your apps(a pain in the butt, I know). xtrROM offers many scripts to run from overclocking to cache management. I personally run cache2sd but there is a new one called cache2cache that relocates cache to an unsed memory block to further free up memory for apps(DO NOT run both cache2sd and cache2cache, unless you want weird issues). Read the first post for xtrROM over at XDA for more information and ask zach if you have any other questions.
    Hope this helps and gets you pointed in the right direction.
  3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Jan 7, 2010
    xtrROM supports apps2sd, but does not have it turned on by default. You definitely don't have to use it.

xtrROM definitely has more space for apps than EE 3.0. When I installed EE I had barely any room left without any apps installed.

I'l second DroidEris1981's post about cache2cache, with the caveat that the version that supports this feature is considered beta by the developer and may not be 100% stable. Without getting too technical, cache2cache will give your phone a lot more space for apps than usual if you turn it on. This does not use your SD card, and there is nothing complicated that you need to do to the SD card to enable this. Of course the ROM is in beta, but if you switch to xtrROM - which is very stable - and find that you are still struggling with app space issues, the answer may be to wait a few days until 4.5 is out of beta.