• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

questions on private wifi, bandwidth and phone minutes

some really fundamental questions from a complete newbie. First some info on where I am at present...

I presently do not yet have an Android device. The Nexus S looks nice to me as I like the idea of Google and freedom (unlocked device) and Android.

I do not do much cell phone calling and almost no texting. I have a pay as you go system via T-Mobile that serves my calling needs well.

I would like the freedom to be able to browse the web when out shopping, would like to be able to use Google maps and GPS and trapster when driving.

Now the questions:

1) I understand that data and calls are treated separately. Is that correct? If I got either an Android phone or an Android tablet, I could get a data plan and no minutes - allowing me to use VOIP/SIP to make calls and browse the web but not make classic mobile phone calls?

2) If I get the unlocked nexus S from Best Buy would I be able to use my current wifi router to connect to the web without any data plan ? i.e. it would be like a netbook/generic wifi mobile device that connects via wifi?

3) If I get the unlocked Nexus S, and I got a data plan (say from T-Mobile) would I be able to use my wifi at home without it eating into my data plan usage, and use the data plan when I am not at home or able to find free wifi?

4) Would I be able to use my T-mobile pay-as-you-go sim chip in the unlocked nexus S to make and receive mobile calls ? (I assume I would need to register the device with T-mobile)

5) Do I sound like someone who should be looking at a android tablet rather than a phone? ( I would have to carry the tablet and my old cell phone and the tablet would be a bit bulkier). I know this question is not really technical and the answers will no doubt vary....

1. Possible yes, but ull need a fully unlimited data plan. many providers handle a FUP (fair use policy) and when you exceed a determined amount of data they will greatly decrease your bandwidth thus preventing VoIP

2. yes, possible

3. yes, you can switch between WiFi (free at home) and 3G (via mobile phone network at cost of data plan credit)

4. not sure, but i assume a yes.

5. i'd take the phone, just because it has everything you need. mine replaced my navigation device, my iPod, my old cellphone and my Mio PDA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones