Questions on replacement phones - still having bugs?General

Last Updated:

1. greyhndz

greyhndz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm curious about what your experience has been if you've had to get a replacement phone. Have the bugs on your old phone been resolved, or are you still having glitches - either the same old ones or new one?

Your evening quiz:

Did you have to install OTA or was 2.1 already installed?

If you had the problems with poor battery life, or poor signal, before, do you have them on your replacement?

Anyone have any *new* bugs arise on the replacement that you didn't have before?

Was the replacement (presumably a refurb) in like-new condition?

Did you just pull the SD and swap it before sending the old phone back?

Does it make a difference if you return it to a Verizon store, or directly back to Verizon?

Your participation in this survey is greatly appreciated. :D

Advertisement
  2. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member

I just got a replacement phone for the audio bug. I have had the new phone for 4 days with no problems so far. No issues with battery life or signal with this refurbished unit. I'm running a 1750 battery in it though. The refurbished unit I received is in better condition than the unit I had. When I received it I pulled out my battery, the SD card, and the back of the phone and sent back the rest (per VZW directions). I tried returning the phone to the Verizon store but they wouldn't take it. They pulled the battery and the phone worked so they refused to help. Problem was I was having to reboot the phone 4-5 times a day after losing all sounds. When I called VZW and described the problem, they offered to ship a new one out right away. Mine shipped with 1.5 BTW. Had it come with a leaked version of the OS, I had planned to ship it right back and ask for a new one. I have seen in other postings though that some units have shipped with 2.1 already installed.

If you can swap out the phone, I highly recommend it. I'm very happy with my new unit.

greyhndz likes this.
  3. greyhndz

I appreciate muchly. No sooner did I finish posting when my signal dropped while checking out an app on Market. Back to 1X. Back to VZW is more like it.

Bummer - it seems to be the consensus that if you had a phone that was buggy on 1.5, it would be buggy on 2.1; if it were fine with 1.5 it will probably be fine with OTA. I guess my phone broke the rule, though at least I didn't inherit the sound bug.

Thanks for your help. I'll call VZW on Tuesday. Buh-bye little Eris.

4. jeffyo

jeffyo Well-Known Member

just replaced today and got it with 1.5 still on it. Works better than the other 1.5 I had plus now I can at least ROOT! I was using v3 leak. Any way, go to the verizon store and tell them all the bugs that are reported on this site are happening to your phoen and they'll replace it. They can see known issues so they will know. Also, the guy told me that the incredible is doing the same stuff as the eris. Be careful when choosing to upgrade.

5. fightthefiction

fightthefiction Member

I got my refurb phone on thursday. You keep sd card, battery, and back of phone and put it on new one. Then ship back old unit. My new one is in great shape. It shipped with 1.5, bit as soon as i booted up it was asking to do 2.1update. I have had no issues with the new phone and so far everything seems to be good.

6. jps

jps Well-Known Member

what do they do if you dont send your old phone back?

7. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I got my replacement on Wednesday and it had 1.5. I rooted right away. I have had none of the bugs reported and am more than happy, so far.

8. greyhndz

I would bet that they would either bill your account or ask up front for credit card info so they can charge you if your phone isn't returned. That's the way it usually works when you exchange items by mail and they send you the replacement before they receive the damaged item.

I wish I weren't such a weenie about rooting.

9. BlazeD OnE

BlazeD OnE Banned

mine came 1.5, great shape, I am having 50% bug, and my speaker sounds weird, with 2.1 only.. I re-verted back to 1.5, everything works better for me on 1.5.

but for ur question jps, I was told I had 8 days to send either the new phone or the old phone out or they'd charge my account.

10. BlazeD OnE

BlazeD OnE Banned

I recommend, not going to the store, and calling the *611 number and talking to a Customer Service Rep. If the one you get doesn't seem cool hang up and try again, I got a really great CS Rep, after 20 min, replacement was shipped.

11. greyhndz

Guess i'll be answering my own question. Replacement shipping tues. No signal, only wifi. Taskiller on at startup. SD not recognized at start up.

Eris, it sux to be you!

ETA Also had a good tech rep who offered replacement right after hearing what i've tried.
    And they charge full retail if u don't return old phone.

12. JDG63

JDG63 Member

My refurb came loaded with 1.5. OTA to 2.1. No silent bug but still getting only 2-3 signal bars.

13. wamsille

wamsille Well-Known Member

I'm getting a refurb by Thursday, I'm going to wait and see if it has 2.1 OTA, a v3/v2 leak, or 1.5. If it is 1.5 I'm going to root that sucker and be done with it. I have to actually LIKE my phone for the next 13 months before I'm eligible for another upgrade. Might as well make the most of it. I'm halfway tempted, though, to swap out and get a different phone off of CL or eBay.

14. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

I got my replacement(with 1.5) update was waiting for me but I instead rooted and am now running WhiteWidow 3.1(waiting on 4.0!!!)

15. greyhndz

When replacement phone arrives, should I do factory reset right after installing 2.1? I assume there'd be no sense to doing one before, when the phone is still nekkid.

16. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Well-Known Member

Got my replacement due to silent bug 4 days ago with 1.5 and ota waiting moments after activating. Works fine so far, no major issues and thankfully no silent bug. Only issue Ive noticed is the screen stays dark a long time after ending calls, forcing me to use physical end button instead of touchscreen call end button.

17. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

forget the OTA
    Root it and throw rooted 2.1 on it or a custom ROM
    faster and sexier

18. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

I got my replacement over two weeks ago, for the silent phone bug, and the new phone hasn't had the bug yet, and I've even done factory resets and plenty of software changes, and still no silent bug.

19. horseluvr

horseluvr Guest

I received my like-new replacement phone last week. 1.5 was on it with the OTA waiting. I updated and now have problems with the screen going dark and having to hit the end button to come back on. If surfing the web, my phone will randomly stop and go back to the bookmarks page and if using the speaker phone, the sound is crackly. I'm calling Verizon today, this is annoying.

20. greyhndz

This is discouraging. The common denominator seems to be the OTA. I haven't heard anyone complain about the 1.5 NOT updated to 2.1.

When the replacement arrives, how can I determine if it was leaked at some point?

Replacement will be here Thursday. Good thing because more and more bugs are showing up almost daily. The latest is that whenever I do a routine off/on, it puts itself back in silent mode.

And, DUH.... after listening to everyone's description I realize that I've had the silent bug all along. I just thought I was hard of hearing. :eek:

Quick, someone give me the guts to root!

21. BlazeD OnE

BlazeD OnE Banned

To check for leak, if it is running 1.5, then no leak. If it comes pre-loaded with 2.1 - there is a possibility that it is leaked.
    To check :
    1) turn off the phone
    2) turn on phone by holding the volume down button and power button
    3) check the HBOOT, it will be on top.
    1.46.000 = no leak
    1.47.000 = no leak
    1.49.200 = no leak
    1.49.000 = leak

greyhndz likes this.
  22. darthanubis

darthanubis Active Member

I got my replacement a month ago with 1.5. OTA'd to 2.1 and I can not root or go back to 1.5.

I have HBOOT 1.47 and I get a main version is older! error when trying to obtain root. I have not been able to get replies to my posts or any kind of help via Google or IRC.

I'm totally dejected.:confused::mad::confused:

23. horseluvr

horseluvr Guest

Well, I called Verizon this am (updated replacement phone thread already) and a new replacement phone is on its way. :D I'm supposed to have it tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I hope this one works.

24. majorpay

majorpay Well-Known Member

Does yours have Navigation? I have heard that some of the rooted versions did not have it... I also heard that some of them do not have access to protected apps on the market. Is this the case with yours?

25. greyhndz

We'll have to compare nightmares when we've both received the phones. ;)