Questions on Rooting. Please Help!!!

Last Updated: 2012-08-10 17:03:08
  1. USN12

USN12 Member

Hello all, this is my first post in the forums.

I'll make this quick, any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S2 on T-Mobile's network. I would like to root the phone and did some initial research, but I had a few questions that I was hoping anyone could clarify before I proceed.

1. Will rooting the phone erase all stored data? I'd only like to save my contacts and my save game data from Final Fantasy III (it's a great game by the way!). Is it possible to save these things before I root? Is it possible to save an backup "image" of my phone before I root, that way I don't need to re install all the apps?

2. Is there any way to root the phone WITHOUT having to wipe all the data clean from the device? If not, what is the easiest and fastest way to root the phone?

I apologize in advance if these questions were answered elsewhere. Most of the info I found on google was a few months, or years old, and I was hoping more recent information was available.

Thank you!

Advertisement
  2. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Hi USN (Navy?) Welcome to the forums. :wavey:

Rooting will not affect any data on your phone. Your apps and everything will still be there. It will just be installing a new recovery and a small superuser file.

Read this guide for rooting and if you have any questions feel free to ask. :)
  3. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

Answers Yes and Yes. Rooting does not affect the data on the device - what you are doing is replacing the recovery which is located on it's own partition on the internal solid state disk (flash memory) and side loading an app called super user through the recovery so there is no reason why you should be erasing your data.

Also WELCOME TO THE FORUMS :)
  4. USN12

USN12 Member

OK guys, thanks so much for the help!

I had a unrelated question. Where does Google save my contacts? If I remember correctly, Google asked me once to save my contacts to their servers... although I'm not sure when they are backed up, and how to retrieve them.

Thanks guys!