Questions re: Froyo release

Last Updated:

1. skittleys

skittleys Member This Topic's Starter

OK, I'm being a bit of a chicken here...I'm too scared to do something *BIG* with my phone!

So, I have a few questions about the 2.2 release (the Rogers one in particular)

1. Will it reformat my phone? (If so, is there an easy backup method?)
    2. Can someone confirm that most apps DO still work/can be downloaded from the market? (Someone was having trouble in another thread, but it might be because those particular apps didn't have 2.2 support).
    3. Does it come with the Breeze UI that's supposed to appear on the Liquid Metal?

Advertisement
  2. gwilo

gwilo Well-Known Member

I believe it will wipe your phone.

For backing up your apps, if the are from 'Market' download an App called 'AppBrain' and install, creat an account using your gmail info, then sync your phone with AppBrain. After installing Froyo re install AppBrain and sync, all your apps should re-install and update.

Contacts it depends on how you loaded them the onto the phone. If they are all on your SIM card, you have to do nothing, or if they are on gmail do nothing other than setting up gmail again.

All apps I used with 2.1 work on 2.2 (I use LCR-F ROM and had no problem with apps)

3. jtmorris

jtmorris Active Member

Just did it (the one from Acer's website).

I'm not a real techie (so I understand your hesitation), and have never done the rooting thing.

But It did NOT wipe my phone. All of my information and apps were still there. So no need to back up.

So far all my apps work (the standard ones for sure), and most of them are running faster (though everything was a bit slow at first), and better.

It does not give you the breeze interface.

Hope that helps -it was super easy and worked no problem.

4. newbdroid

newbdroid New Member

I can also confirm that it's working fine. I just did the official update as well and it's great. Everything is still in tact and I've already started moving apps to my SD card. psx4droid runs a lot smoother too. The download:cool: has included a step by step guide and is easy as pie. :cool:

5. dierna

dierna Well-Known Member

I did it as well, and everything is intact :)

6. Edtek

Edtek Active Member

I would love to try the new Rogers release, but I was one of the sorry s.o.b's that didn't do a nanodroid backup of the original rom that came on my phone. (For me it was 2.1).

Until someone either releases a rom of the stock 2.1 from Rogers, I am stuck using the leaks. I have heard that the 3g/edge data connection is much faster on the stock rom compared to the leaks.

If anyone knows a way of getting back to the 2.1 stock, I am all ears.