• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions regarding getting a replacement N1

Kryst

Sep 3, 2010
I asked about this in another thread but got no replies so being as impatient as I am I made a new thread. Sorry if it's going against anything.

From the replacement Nexus One thread:
"So would I be able to just call HTC and tell them there's something wrong with my N1(trackball issues maybe?) then get a replacement? My N1 right now has a couple scratches on the screen and they just kinda annoy me (bought it off someone else like that). Would rooting the replacement N1 be just as easy also (one click root), and finally is the SLCD really that much more different than the AMOLED screen to warrant getting a replacement unit?"

I saw a video of SLCD VS AMOLED, and even though there is a bit of a difference it's not something that would haunt me so that question doesn't really need any answering. Also I've got another question though, because I bought the N1 off someone else before will they know that somehow and ask for any receipts or anything? Or is it a no questions asked kinda thing? Thanks in advance!

I think I saw that video and the blacks were much better on the AMOLED, I could be wrong. You could call them and ask them for a replacement. But realize that if there is anything wrong with your phone they could charge you for it. When I had mine replaced, they put a $530 credit on my card until they received the old one and checked it. Personally I wouldn't scam HTC because I scratched the screen. Other then the screen nothing will change between the one you have and the replacement so rooting it should be the same.

Upvote 0
OK so I called them, gave the trackball excuse. They said for me to send my phone to them for repairs, will I end up with a new Nexus One or are they simply just going to repair it? They also said something about repairs for unwarranted problems would have to make me pay extra (know that already) and if I deny any repair charges they'll send me back the phone but I'd have to pay $28. My bootloader is unlocked so is that going to be a problem, should I even bother at this point?

Upvote 0
OK so I called them, gave the trackball excuse. They said for me to send my phone to them for repairs, will I end up with a new Nexus One or are they simply just going to repair it? They also said something about repairs for unwarranted problems would have to make me pay extra (know that already) and if I deny any repair charges they'll send me back the phone but I'd have to pay $28. My bootloader is unlocked so is that going to be a problem, should I even bother at this point?

I doubt you would get a new phone. They would just repair your original phone if the repairs were under warranty, or let you know how much it will cost you to repair it if not under warranty. If you don't really have any problems other than a scratched screen, you will be wasting your time as most likely they won't repair that without a full cost of out of warranty repair. Plus you will be without your phone for the entire time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones