Questions regarding rooting the N1.

Last Updated:

1. Totempole

Totempole Member This Topic's Starter

Hey what's up :) I'm going to buy a nexus one in March and I'm poking around all the things that I need to know before buying it. So here are my questions:

What dangers are there in rooting your phone?
    I mean, like bricking it, lost 3G connectivity and such.

When jailbreaking the iPhone, you get Cydia (kind of the AppStore for hacked stuff, for those who didn't know). Do you get an equivalent kind of app for where you can download hacked apps/tweaks that are not allowed on the Marketplace when hacking an Android device?

Are there any program that automatically roots the phone for you?

Thanks

Anders.

Advertisement
  2. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

Android devices in general do not need a cydia type of thing, mainly because its a open source operating system. You will see device, or, carrier specific apps out there. But basically, if its made for android, or is written for one device it may be just a matter of time before it can go on any of them - depending of course and possibly limited to the specific OS build that is on the android device. Rooting an android device allows certain stealth priviledges, but you need to be careful.

3. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

The nice thing about the Android OS is that you don't need Cydia. All your rooted apps will be in the normal Android app store. It's great, really.

Bricking your phone is super unlikely if you do everything to the "T" correct.

I'm a bit of a noob at this, but very intent.

4. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

i have to say, i enjoyed cydia. however the REALLY nice thing was being able to find torrents of EVERYTHING in the app store that people had cracked.

there are programs that will do everything for you for certain phones, like the droid, i'm not aware of anything like that for the nexus one at this point. i'm also told that people generally look down on these programs as they prevent you from getting any real experience with the phone... so when you actually NEED to do something, you're left totally helpless.

5. clomeli23

clomeli23 Member

ok so i'm a complete nub with my Nexus (first ever droid phone) so by what i've read rooting is just basically "unlocking" the phone. What are the cons and pros by doing this and how do I do it?

6. dckloos

dckloos Active Member

dont waste time.....theunlockr.com is the best resource for instructions on rooting the nexus. Dont waste time searching youtube either. i was new to the android market and had never modded a phone before. I figured quickly and could do it again now with my eyes closed. There are a number of ROMS to choose from too. I chose Cyanogen ROM and i love it. Be careful tho because you may run into issues while flashing new ROM as i did. Whats great tho is that its an easy process that you can do over and over again until it works properly so dont freak out if something happens the first time you try. My phone froze on the loading screen with the colored lines but i re flashed the ROM a few tiimes and it finally worked. Also, If the ROM you choose does not come with the google add on then you will need to find it and flash it as well. Message me privately if you need any help with the root and ROM Flash. I can give you the name of the google addon as well which is hard to find.

7. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Follow the guide in this thread to Root - and use the Unlockr videos which is what I used (combined with the text instructions open in another video). Pause the video as you go & everything should be smooth - just make sure you follow carefully.

The GoogleApps addon you need only for the Cyanogen ROM (which is what I prefer) & you will be able to find from Cyanogens site.

I don't regret rooting.......has made the phone work better, though there are a few downsides (but all minor!)