Questions regarding warranty and various regional versions

Last Updated:

1. GoGoAndroid

GoGoAndroid New Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 21, 2009
    I am very interested in purchasing a Hero but am not sure if I should wait till I move to Taiwan in a few months or do it while I am in the US.

How does the purchase location of HTC devices affect their warranty?
    Does rooting really void your warranty? Can't it be restored before returning to HTC if it's bootable?
    Some places (like Amazon) have the "international version with no warranty. What's that about?
    Can someone please explain the different "versions" that are available.
    How do the languages and input methods differ?
    What about app availability in the different regions?

In Taiwan, the hero is 20000 TWD = $617 USD from the HTC store. It's about $580 shipped from Expansys.

I'd prefer to buy it while in the US because of the ability to receive extended buyer protection via an AMEX or other credit card. But if it breaks, I wanna take it to HTC in Taiwan. Am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance.

2. twrock

twrock Member

Mar 27, 2009
    The only help I can offer you is from my one time handling of the Hero here in Taiwan and a discussion with the sales lady at ChungHwa Telecom.

Unless you really want to pay full value for the phone, CHT has five different contract options, all for two years. But if you are going to be in Taiwan for that length of time, you can get the phone for free with as low as NT$1749 per month contract. If I understood her, that included an unlimited data plan. Monthly contract prices range from $649 to $2549.

According to her, since the contract is for two years, the warranty on the device is two years as well.

There is a lot of information about those contract options and costs, but I'm terrible at characters, so I can't really read what all it says. I suppose if you can read Chinese, this information would all be available in the CHT website.