• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

quick advance delay in subtitle while watching video

manit123

Lurker
Jan 19, 2014
Hi , guys .
I have used mplayer in linux that has an interesting feature of going to next & previous subtitle using 'y' & 'g' keys respectively.
Have you see any video player app that gives this facility ?
Let us say , subtitle file is unsynced in such a way that dialogue appears late & increasingly late than expected .
In that case . advancing or delaying the video will not help because subtitles can never get synced. Ofcourse , it is fault of subtitle creator .
In such a scenario , I press 'y' key as soon as character in video speaks.
It is like navigating in subtitle stream . Here also , subtitles never get synced , but I have to be alert & press once at every sound bite .
In some android video player apps , I have seen option to increase or decrease subtitle advance/delay . I found that cumbersome too , because you have to continually press the key till you do not see the next subtitle .

I am beginning to learn creating app from Creating an Android Project | Android Developers

I have the following idea.
Create two windows (stacked vertically) - one in which video plays & other in which subtitles appear .
For my simplicity , say I will just use srt files as subtitles.
The subtitle window (let us call it w2) has button 'g' on left & 'y' on right .
Subtitle window will display subtitles by getting current time from video window (let us call it w1) & display corresponding lines from srt.
When user clicks on 'y' button in w2 then subtitle from srt is displayed. Also app measures difference between w1 time & new subtitle time. So that , it starts showing subtitles with that delay/advance from w1 time.

I require your valuable feedback to accomplish above scenario & point me in the right direction.
If you think - idea is interesting enough , then it is yours . I am happy to assist.
Thank You for listening.
Eagerly waiting for your reply.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones