• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Quick alternative root (and unroot) method

Hawker

Android Expert
Aug 2, 2011
UK
www.celica.talktalk.net
For those of you who are frightened to root your device due to flashing an insecure kernel via Odin, this method may be enough to persuade you to take the plunge.

Quick root/unroot method

As this does not flash an insecure kernel, it will not increase your counter, and hence you will not have the yellow triangle.

Note: I've not tested this method personally, but it seems ok to me.

Reactions: Rudedawg
Unfortunately it doesn't install ClockWork Mod Recovery.

So either you will have to use the limited stock Recovery or fanny around with Mobile Odin and install the CF-Root kernel anyway. See here.

Might be OK if someone cannot connect to Kies or Odin or just needs root but does not want to install ROM's, Kernels, Modems, mod's, etc; I suppose.

For everything else there's always...

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...t/482994-rooting-galaxy-s2-dummies-guide.html

Upvote 0
Could I use this method to root then flash siyah kernel or neat room in clockwork recovery?

The standard Nandroid Recovery has an "apply update" option so I see no reason why you can't do this.

Personally I would always use chainfire's method highlighted in ironass' guide, but I'm just making people who may be a little tentative flashing via Odin aware of this alternative method. If your main reason for rooting is to allow you to run rooted apps from Google Play, then this method is a viable route to root! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones