• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Quick Battery Drain in bad reception buildings

PittCaleb

Nov 6, 2009
So my church is a cell-phone black hole. No 3G and barely 1x. They changed the password on the WiFi recently so until someone leaks it to me, my phone is near useless in the building. This stinks as I spent a considerable amount of time there over probably 4 days a week, so stinks to be me.

That said, I've noticed that on days I spent a lot of time at church, my battery life is poor. Last Sunday however, I noticed my Droid/battery was HOT when I left church and by the time I got home, it was down below 20% battery life. Was full when I awoke (media dock) so this all happened in just a few hours, most of which it was unused.

I returned that evening for some children's events and it dropped again to 20% in just another 2 hours in the building.

Thankfully the battery life has been fine all week, so I've decided that the phone is going berserk with little/no signal search repeatedly for one. Does anyone have any idea how to deal with this short of turning the phone off while in the building?

PittCaleb

Note: try to keep the church bashing and puns to a minimum ;-)

So my church is a cell-phone black hole. No 3G and barely 1x. They changed the password on the WiFi recently so until someone leaks it to me, my phone is near useless in the building. This stinks as I spent a considerable amount of time there over probably 4 days a week, so stinks to be me.

That said, I've noticed that on days I spent a lot of time at church, my battery life is poor. Last Sunday however, I noticed my Droid/battery was HOT when I left church and by the time I got home, it was down below 20% battery life. Was full when I awoke (media dock) so this all happened in just a few hours, most of which it was unused.

I returned that evening for some children's events and it dropped again to 20% in just another 2 hours in the building.

Thankfully the battery life has been fine all week, so I've decided that the phone is going berserk with little/no signal search repeatedly for one. Does anyone have any idea how to deal with this short of turning the phone off while in the building?

PittCaleb

Note: try to keep the church bashing and puns to a minimum ;-)

Maybe your phone was trying to tell you something with the heat.... I keed, I keed! Couldn't resist.

In any event, no, there really isn't a way to get rid of this behavior with so little reception. If you don't want to shut it down completely, then just put it in airplane mode. You can still enable wifi after that when someone sneaks you the password. ;)

Upvote 0
Do you have Beautiful Widgets installed? I work in a building that has no signal. Since the last update it has been draining my battery because of the GPS attempting to run. Batttery use has been around 65% in a 6 hour period unless I put it in airplane mode.

Its got nothing to do with extra software running, so much as its the radio/sytem fighting to acquire a signal. I had my fully charged battery drain, after pulling it off the charger, down to 20% in 3.5hrs in a "low signal" (0-1 bars) area.

Alternatively, one could pick up where I left off with an antenna mod:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...rough-3g-1x-switching.html?highlight=homemade

Upvote 0
I never noticed this with my other phones in the same building and it was certainly worse last week than in previous weeks with the Droid. Was wondering if there was code out there to ask it to "SLOW DOWN" in trying to find a signal. Airplane mode or just leave it in the car I suppose.

The pun about the heat was a good one ;-) Perhaps last week's sermon was "just for me" ...

PittCaleb

Upvote 0
Nothing new to any mobile....especially smart phones.

Here here. During Winter Camp my phone would die within a few hours from a full charge because it was continuously looking for signal because there wasn't any. Like said previously, if you're used to not having reception in there, then turn it to Airplane mode. My friend lived in a dead zone so the same thing would happen, so I told him to keep his phone in airplane mode while at home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones