Quick contact - different primary numbersSupport

Last Updated:

1. TeraHTC

TeraHTC Member This Topic's Starter

Question: Is there a way to do this?

My dad has the HTC Hero (as do I). He has blocked caller ID on all his outgoing calls (not through the phone itself but through Sprint; it was like that on his previous phone too). He doesn't want his number to show up when he calls people in general, but he does want it to show up when he calls family members, so we know to answer him. You can dial *82 before a call to turn caller ID back on for that one call, so he has saved phone numbers for each of us that start with a *82 at the beginning, on his phone. The problem is that if you try to send a text message to that number, it doesn't work. So, he has one number for calling my mobile phone, and a different number for texting my mobile phone.

Now, he likes the Quick Contact shortcut on the home screen, where you get an icon of the person's face and then when you tap on it you get a little list of options like call or text, right on the home screen. The problem is that it calls and texts whatever the primary number is, and I can't figure out how to set a different primary number for texting and for calling.

Does anyone know how to do that?

(I know there are various workarounds, like having the icon take you to the address book page instead and choosing a number from there, etc. But I just want to find out if there is a way of making it work with the quick contact thingie, because that seems the most efficient and smooth. Thanks!)

Advertisement
  2. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

I could not find "quick contact" on the market. You could just create a short-cut on you screen that points to the number you want to text.

3. TeraHTC

Sorry, its not in the market, its built into the phone. Go to the home screen, click the little plus at the right hand bottom of the screen. Then choose Shortcut, then Person, then choose a person, and then when it asks what action you want, choose quick contact. Now if you click on that icon on the home screen, it should pop up with a small window that has icons to choose between calling, texting, etc for that person. That's what I'm referring to.

I know I can have two separate icons for calling and texting the same person, but the quick contact is more efficient -- I just can't figure out how to get it to call and text a different number for the same person.

4. treborcj

That is what I was talking about too. It will always connect to the primary number unless you create the other short-cut.

5. TeraHTC

Are you sure? What I'm trying to find out is if that is true, or if there is a way to change it.

6. treborcj

no, i am not sure. I don't know what version you are using but I am on 2.2 and I just tested it. When I created the short-cut I pressed it and then pressed messages. It gave me a choice of what number to text and an option to "Remember this choice".