Quick Google Maps 4.1 Question

Last Updated:

1. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was planning on just updating google maps from the market after i got the 2.1 update, but since that isn't coming should i just update google maps now? what will happen to the 'live wallpaper' and whatever -- will it just not be there and then show up when 2.1 comes out?

Advertisement
  2. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

If you want the features for Google Maps 4.1, go ahead and update from the market. It's kind of nice. It won't have any effect on your wallpapers because it's just the mapping app, not a part of the whole OS. I updated that when it first came out ~a few weeks ago. There is an update available from that update today.

I installed that, too. I'm still running stock 2.0.1.

3. kraze0g

so when droid does actually get 2.1, will the app be updated to include the live map wallpaper (meaning the 2.1 feature of google maps 4.1) or will it just show up automatically on the droid w/o another update? sorry for the confusion.

4. 3devious

That part I am not certain about. Speaking with no real idea of how that wallpaper works, it's my guess that it is just throwing up the image created by the app and any new layers shouldn't cause any problems. As an apprentice village idiot, I advise you to wait for for someone with a clue instead of throwing caution to the wind as I have.

I don't mind being your canary in the mine shaft. ;)

5. 3devious

Wow. My mental dyslexia read "So when droid actually does" and I thought "oooohhh marketing fodder for any carrier with an N1 or HTC for now." lol

6. cruxer

cruxer New Member

In case anyone else has this issue, I tried installing this yesterday and it kept crashing with a force close. I uninstalled it then reinstalled this morning and it seems to work okay. FYI...

-c

7. 3devious

I installed it and I have been having some issues with not being able to wake the phone and have had to pull the battery twice. I have not been using the maps, so I think it might be something else for me.

8. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

A few times I've had that issue with my Droid. I never figured out what it was, but it only seemed to happen the few different times that I was using Temp Monitor with the temp notifications turned on during the last 6 weeks or so. Without that running, I have not had that happen since.
    I was blaming it on some issue between setcpu and temp monitor or something - though I've never read anyone else say anything of the sort.

9. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Sweet! Didn't know about that feature. That's kinda neat, though I have too much crap on my home screen to really appreciate it.

10. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I think that the problems Maps 4.1 is having with the DROID is trying to figure out which OS it is running and which features to enable in the execution. Since we're still running 2.01, it's probably disabling some of the features that'll be "awoken" once we get 2.1 (if that happens).

11. Lemurion

Lemurion Well-Known Member

I know I was just playing around with Maps 4.1 on my Droid and it hard locked so I had to pull the battery so it would reboot.

12. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

i already have 2.1 haha its nice. the latitude widget is what i enjoy, plus it now makes room for the measuring tool AND buzz

13. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Maps wallpaper eats the battery!!! Which really doesn't surprise me.

14. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

haha yeah it destroyed my battery life! i removed it. its just fun is all

15. kraze0g

so by updating to maps 4.1 now i wonder hinder it from getting anything when 2.1 update comes out? i assume not since most people are going to update their google maps way before 2.1 comes out...

16. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

There's another update to maps available in the market, 4.1.0. Not sure what it's fixing or doing but it just went up.

17. kraze0g

just looked at the update again, and i noticed they removed the "*2.1 Live Google Maps Wallpaper" feature from the list...

18. 1234

1234 New Member

Hi everybody,
    I'm new here and i just switched from a eris to a moto droid and im trying to figure out how to show a numerical address under my location (blue dot)? when it loads the address it just reads my street name then a near by location. with the eris it would give a specific location (like 555 5th st.) for example. I have google maps 4.1. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

19. salimundo

salimundo Active Member

I've noticed this too,. I think it maybe some sort of privacy thing as it used to display the address on the droid as well but it no longer does. Has anyone heard anything official about this?

20. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Updated to the latest version this morning. I've still got the Maps Live Wallpaper on Droid Mod 1.0.

21. kraze0g

yes, it will keep the live wallpaper but they must have removed it from the "features" list because 2.1 didn't come to the droid. i remember when it first was released the night before the 2.1 "supposed release" and it made you notice the GOOGLE MAPS LIVE WALLPAPER .. im guessing since 2.1 didn't come, they didn't want to rub it in to droid users ;p when droid does get 2.1 im sure it'll still be there.

22. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

i updated over the weekend. tried gmaps to see if it worked fine, it did. closed out. next morning, phone was dead. thought my power button crapped out on my first, then like, waaaa, battery is dead. Was at 70% when i turned it off at night.

is the current gmaps that we all just downloaded not working properly on the droid? If there a fix for it?