Quick hands-on Droid comments

Last Updated:

1. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was able to play with a Droid for a little while - some comments:

It definitely would not autofocus, not even once on many tries, always red bars at each corner. No clicking sounds coming from the camera. Hopefully on the majority of the units the autofocus fix will be via software. This one needed a fix.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the Droid is not "too big" at all (I'm coming from a BB Pearl) - the size feels very good in my hands and pocket.

It is weighty - not annoyingly so, but the heft in your hand is noticeable - gives a feeling of quality/durability, but might be tiring in certain positions.

Some other things I noticed during my hands-on:

1. I was not having any problems with using the top row of letters in the hardware keyboard - no bumping into the body of the screen slid up above it - I have relatively large hands/wide fingers, and it was not an issue at all. Now that I've used it I'm surprised that people have listed that as an issue.

2. The hardware keyboard is much better than I thought it might be from the reviews, but needs some tactile way to let you know where your fingers are...getting "lost" is the main issue for me. I'm thinking I may apply a very small dab of super glue or similar on the F and J keys to help me w/locating my fingers so I can get to touch typing. One negative - reaching across the D-pad is a little annoying.

3. The HW keyboard is really appreciated when you're entering text into a field and the virtual keyboard just takes over too much real-estate. Wasn't a key feature for me before using the phone, now I'm really happy I'll have the option of either type of keyboard.

4. The landscape virtual keyboard is actually very good...no problems with it, enjoyed using it.

5. The portrait keyboard is barely usable for me - keys too small/close.

6. Videos (Youtube) on it are simply amazing...playing them in-line from web pages is so nice - they load quickly and look great .

7. The Home screen will not rotate to landscape unless the keyboard is open. Everything else rotates fine w/out opening the keyboard, and the home screen will rotate when the keyboard is open. This is either a bug they caught late, or a intended design that makes absolutely no sense to me. (Yes - the auto rotate setting was on.)

8. Marketplace is great - downloaded a bunch of free apps - you can get several downloads going at once in the background and get notifications on them in the notification bar (progress/complete). A better experience than w/the Blackberry App Store. The Verizon tab in the Marketplace has a number of useful free apps listed there - more than just the Visual Voicemail app that someone (Mark V.?) said was there a couple days ago.

9. Now that I've used it some more I do see value in the iPhone style two-finger zoom when browsing - really what I want is more control over the zoom amount, if I had user-adjustable increments for double-tap zoom I'd be fine. Pages render really well, and navigation/scrolling is very smooth.

10. I added a contact to see how it would work - a few minutes later I was looking at an Eris, and it had the contact on it that I had set up on the Droid - the same email account had been used to set up both phones. Pretty cool...but don't lose your email/PW, or your enemies will be able to see/modify/delete all your contacts and calendar info from their Google phone.

11. I LOVE the task switching and multitasking - enjoy it on my BB and will like it even more I think on the Droid. The Droid didn't seem to care how many programs I had open, ran fine regardless. One thing I'm wondering - when you have more than 6 apps running, how does the Droid decide which of the 6 to show you in the task switching dialog?

12. Side-by-side, the screen on the Eris is actually a little brighter overall.

13. Multiple browser windows...really nice to be able to keep the current web page open if I want to look at another web page.

14. There's no way that the Droid will fit the multimedia doc or car mount w/a case on it, unless maybe if the case is very, very thin. Don't know what the options are going to be, but that's a problem for me, as I'm a phone dropper/abuser. Going to have a screen protector, but if I can't find a really thin case that works I'm likely going to look for an invisible shield total coverage or something similar - don't like pulling a case on/off repeatedly.

Since there wasn't any PIM data (contacts, calendar) I couldn't really do much in terms of playing w/those areas.

Ran Pandora it worked perfectly, as well as a bar code app, the app "Where" and a few others. All worked very well - totally cool to look up a movie in Where and see theaters near me based on GPS and view a trailer.

I was so excited after playing with it that I put my car mount up in my car afterwards.

A little under a day and a half left now...

Advertisement
  2. someguy9

someguy9 Well-Known Member

Great post!

3. michaelk

michaelk Well-Known Member

I'm hoping some 3rd party docks come out - seems they just need to figure out where to embed the trigger magnet.

I'd like a car dock that has the power connector built in myself. too lazy to always have to plug in the cord and then put it in the dock.

if it sells like they thing it will I'd guess there will be some third party docks at some point.

4. android121

android121 Member

The Droid looks very cool. Thanks for feedback. I have heard some people say that they cannot get Yahoo Mail Plus to work on the Android platform. Has anyone used the K-9 e-mail client to pull their POP3 e-mail for a Yahoo Plus account? If so, can you manually check / pull e-mail any faster than the 5-60 minute pull intervals mentioned in the CNET review? I read that Droid supports push e-mail only for Exchange and IMAP e-mail services like GMail. Thanks.

5. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

nice write up

on number 7 i bet it is designed that way and not a bug. coming from the storm i found it annoying at times when i unholstered my phone it would be switching from landscape to portrait or visa versa.

on number 11 i think i read that it would always show 6 apps whether they were running or not. it would just show the last 6 you used...so probably if you had over 6 open(heaven forbid) it would probably show the most current 6 that you have opened.

6. ajm144k

ajm144k Well-Known Member

THANK GOD FOR SHUTTER-SOUND CONTROL. shutter sounds can be very annoying in places you see something funny but cant really have your camera firing out shutter noises.

couldnt agree more. of all the stupid whining over the keyboard, I think this small remark is most important. knowing where your fingers are when you're not looking at the board really does help.

EDIT: why does it look like in pictures of the droid's keyboard, the "f" and "j" keys each have a small raised mark on them, just like discussed here...

as mentioned, this is a blessing not a curse. you dont want the homescreen rotating, trust me. youll lose your mind unlocking your phone. how it is now, youll always know what to expect orientation-wise when coming back to the homescreen (i.e. coming out of an app in landscape you wont go crosseyed wondering what angle your phone is at and what orientation you'll be in next)

although i think double-tap zooming is easier, i understand how pinch-n-zoom has more control. just wait for cyanogen or someone to get their hands on 2.0 and im sure this wont be a problem any longer, as the droid has multi-touch.

haha. "reserved for droid"

7. bluenik25

bluenik25 Well-Known Member

Took the words right out of my mouth!

8. Redflea

Yeah - if someone does come up w/a dock w/integrated power where the Droid can just "snap in" like it will on the Droid dock, I'd consider changing to it...but the Droid car dock seems really nice - no bigger than it needs to be, and well designed/made.

Thanks for clarifying that - makes sense now that you and ajm explain the reasoning. I would not want to hunt for orientation to unlock!

Regarding open apps - I had well over 6 open, more like 12 or more!

I played w/the free app (can't remember name) that allows you to kill apps. Easy to use and works quite well.

Sorry - I confused you - I was referring to a problem some early units are having, where they click repeatedly due to some HW/SW problem - I didn't look, but I didn't see an option to turn off the camera "click" sound.

I found what they have is not big enough for my use...if you hadn't told me it was there I wouldn't have known about it. So I'm going to need some additional bumpiness. :)

Yup - I'm expecting a browser replacement/plug-in/overlay at some point to deal with this. Who knows, maybe Google will enable it in release 2.1, 2.2 or so? Other companies are using that zoom method, so it can be done! :)

Exactly - I wasn't sure anyone would get that. :D

9. RoundMan

RoundMan Member

I have already preordered this item as I am an abusive phone owner as well. I am not sure of the "shock" factor to this, but my friend has this shield on his iPhone and it is nice. He also has a silicone cover around it as a supplemental shock cover, but not sure how that will work with the slide out keyboard for making the Droid damage resistant when dropped. Nonetheless, here is the website:

ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

-Rob

10. pizz1000

pizz1000 Active Member

I am actually glad for that as I carry my storm sideways and when I un-holster it, I have to wait for it to rotate back from landscape to portrait. I hate that :)

11. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

I was afraid of number 7. I've seen it on numerous video reviews and I think that should be "fixed." Same with pinch-to-zoom. I'm sure if they don't do it, the boys at PPCGeeks will.

12. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Did you try turning off autofocus?

13. Redflea

Yes - IRRC I tried it w/autofocus both on and off.

14. King James

King James Active Member

thanks for the insight

15. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Good Post OP! :D

I'm Jealous :p