Quick Incredible GPS question..Support

Last Updated:

1. Divine_Madcat

Divine_Madcat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I did a quick search, but came up short, so I figured I would actually ask. I am strongly considering getting an Incredible (moving up from a Samsung i760), but am curious as to the full GPS capabilities of the phone.

Right now, for navigation/hiking, I have an older HTC Athena (x7501), which is really handy because of its GPS. Most importantly, is the ability to use it outside of cell coverage, which makes it a great asset for hiking (especially in emergencies).

I know the Inc. has some form of GPS, but I want to make sure its a form what will work well outside cell service (specifically, use it with some of the apps that show Lat/Long, altitude, speed, etc). Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Yes the gps will work outside of cell phone range, but you won't get satellite imagery of the terrain unless you download it while within cell phone coverage range.

Divine_Madcat likes this.
  3. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

If you have a 3rd party app that already has the map files stored on the device, the GPS in the Incredible will work just fine.

Using the included Google Maps requires a data connection to pull the map images.

Divine_Madcat likes this.
  4. Divine_Madcat

Thank you for the painfully fast response guys!

The maps aren't a huge issue for me (though, they would be a help), so long as I can actually get raw data (growing up as a boy scout, I still enjoy good old paper maps sometimes. :) ). Specifically, I am planning on using something like GPS Status to look at my position and such.

Looks like I may have to sell off my x7501 to help fund the purchase now.. heh.

5. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

So you mean you want to be able to pull your lat/long/alt from the phone? If that's the case, no problemo:

Simple Gps Info v1.2 Application for Android | Tools

6. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

7. Divine_Madcat

Yep, that is exactly what I want.

Though, in the past, i have never had a mapping feature simply because no good/cheap systems for winmo really existed. I wouldn't mind having some sat maps pre-stored already...

8. gbenj

gbenj Well-Known Member

What are some examples of gps programs that store data on the card?

I have garmin on my windows mobile, but do they have an android app?

are there other options to look into?

9. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

When Backcountry Navigator gets released for Android it will have offline maps. They are free topo maps, but I can't remember what website they come from. They also have aerial photography, but I think much of it is old. You can check out the website to look at the WinMo version and check the forums for status on the Android version. The website is www.backcountrynavigator.com

10. dvdivx

dvdivx Well-Known Member

11. Divine_Madcat

Thanks for the heads-up on that.. that would be great to carry on a hike (better than just the RAW data).

12. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

Amazing how people want to know where they are. I had a helluva time finding a geo program I could type lat/long coordinates in and a map of that area comes up. Really handy for my work where I need to go to an address but the lat/long is also provided
    GeoPin v1.2 Application for Android | Travel

13. vto

vto New Member

I heard good review for these programs and it provides offline topo and road maps, as well as features useful for hiking, camping, and other outdoor sports. For Gaia, next version may include record tracks and waypoints.

Gaia (Gaia GPS - iPhone & Android - Offline Topo Maps)
    http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-trailbehind-android-gaiagps-pro-EwnE.aspx

My Tracks (This one has Record Track)
    http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-google-android-maps-mytracks-iwn.aspx

AlpineQuest GPS Hiking (This one got waypoints)
    http://www.androlib.com/android.application.psyberia-alpinequest-free-tEEi.aspx