1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

quick keyboard language change

Last Updated:

1. olivierm

olivierm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I email and text equally in french and english depending on the receipient and would like to quickly change the language of the suggested words. Is there any way, any apps that helps doing that ?

Advertisement
  2. tudor

tudor Member

I am also trying to figure it out how to do that. But without success so far.

My understanding is that GUI language determines both keyboard layout and input language. Am I wrong?

Android should offer the possibility to quickly change input language and also to choose separately the keyboard layout.

Hopefully someone will come either with the answer or a third party app cause this one MAJOR drawback to the android platform.
    Anyone with any idea?

3. midtoad

midtoad Member

If you use the TouchPal keyboard you can switch the dictionary used for predictions with just one click.

4. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

I, too, am waiting for this! TouchPal is the best contender, but where is the Spanish???

TouchPal has a nice keyboard, but needs more language packs.

I can't wait for the Spanish/English text input!

5. olivierm

olivierm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes using it on occasionally but the text guessing is nowhere near as good as androids...

6. midtoad

midtoad Member

on the Cootek forum you can download a software development kit and create your own spanish keyboard. So far, no one has started this task, so that's why there is no spanish dictionary. any takers?

7. pusman83

pusman83 Member

There needs to be a French QWERTY option for this. It's sorely lacking in Android. Not everyone uses AZERTY in French.

8. midtoad

midtoad Member

Install MoreLocale and you can set your locale to any country you like, and thus get access to any language's word prediction that you like. Recently I set my locale to Argentina and presto, spanish-language text prediction on my Magic, with QWERTY. I imagine you can do something similar for french, though I haven't checked. Also, TouchPal has multiple language packs, including french.

9. pusman83

pusman83 Member

I'll have a look at MoreLocale, but the French language pack of TP is in AZERTY.

10. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

AWWWWh those Funny French !!!! :rolleyes: :cool:

11. puzzlebs

puzzlebs New Member

hello guys i am both writing in italian english spanish and russian. for the last 3 i solved by using anysoftkeyboard and selecting then. unfortunately anysoftkeyboard didn't do the italian language pack (they must be french...) so I have to download morelocale set my language as italian and with android keyboard i can write italian (so i have to switch input mode to switch language).
    Now my QUESTION is:
    how can i have the menus in a language different than the predictive dictionary?
    e.g. if i set the main menu in english (which is what i want) i lose the change to have predictive in italian
    thank You in advance
    P.

12. desto

desto Guest

Did you have any luck with that? I would like to have all the UI objects in English, but the input dictionary on Spanish

13. jubiare

jubiare New Member

Guys, it is actually possible switch languages without the use of any additional program!

Setting >
    Language and input >
    Under KEYBOARD & INPUT METHOD you'll have your default language; now, click on it and open it:
    Chose again the settings on the right for "android keyboard"
    Open "input languages", undo "system language" and scroll down to select your multiple languages.

ENJOY! (you'll have a quick change option on your "space" key

14. John Jason

John Jason Well-Known Member

<Bumping up long unused thread>

Thank you, that worked, except that I need a keyboard that is not listed.

I need to type in Polytonic Greek, but there is only one Greek keyboard in the choices, and it is the wrong one. I installed it anyway, as a test, and it works fine, except that I cannot type all the characters I need without the Polytonic Greek keyboard.

Is there a way to add keyboard options to the choices.

15. blahking

blahking Member

16. lhobi

lhobi New Member

Yes using it on occasionally but the text guessing is nowhere near as good as androids

17. hiredgun

hiredgun Well-Known Member

I am living in Spain, so half my texts are in Spanish and since I am originally from California the other half are in English. The stock Google keyboard lets you switch between the two of them with a flick of a button at the bottom left hand of the keyboard. It's a lot better now with two languages in the keyboard because the predict would go crazy when I only had one and typed in the other, lol.

18. John Jason

John Jason Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions, but I must not have made something clear. I do not have any problem switching keyboards. My problem is that there is no option for the language that I need. My phone (Note 3, Kit-Kat) offers me English, Deutsch, Espa

19. blahking

blahking Member