Quick Navigation App

Last Updated:

1. beavo92

beavo92 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Everyone,

I am a fireman from Bristol in England.

What I would like to make is an app that I (as the app creator) can input about 500 specific street names in alphabetical order so that the user could press e.g "F" and all the street names beginning with "F" come on the screen and then press the street name and that immediately take you to the Sat Nav route for that street wherever you happen to be.

I wonder if this is possible and if someone could point me in the right direction on how I might go about making this useful app for me and my colleagues to use in work.

I would also like to make this app so it can be updated from time to time as new streets are built.

We haven't got Sat Nav on our fire engines.

Advertisement
  2. marchold

marchold Well-Known Member

I wrote this app for pizza delivery drivers, it only works for USA right now, but could be modified to work in England. It downloads street names so you can pick an address from the list. Maybe it could be retrofitted for your needs, Catglo Mobile Applications is the website about the app.
    If you want to write the app yourself just start with the android developer web site docs, they have sample list view apps you can use as a a starting point.

3. beavo92

beavo92 Member This Topic's Starter

Thankyou very much for that it looks really good.

4. NameTBD

NameTBD New Member

I just developed an app for Firefighters -- curious if you would find use for it in the UK (Firefighter Calculator). If you're serious about developing the app you mentioned, let me know, I can likely help. Feel free to e-mail me at NameTBD@comcast.net.

5. johanronstrom

johanronstrom Member

I am just starting making a generic "adress list" app witch would be able to do this. It would read any google maps KML file, and then show them on a map, or show a list where you could click on them and show routes. The KML file could of course be dynamically generated on a server.

The first letter hot key could be a nice feature!