• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Quick newbie question

hottsw

Lurker
Mar 9, 2013
I'm about to start working on a port of my iPhone app for Android and was wondering what device you all would recommend I purchase for development/testing purposes.

I was thinking either a Nexus 4 or a Nexus 7. (It's primarily a phone app, but it'll look fine scaled up to tablet size.)

Also, if any of you are also iPhone programmers, is it relatively easy to learn Java and the Android APIs if you're already familiar with Objective-C?

Thanks for your help!

Any one will do, really, but the Nexus 4 is a good choice since it uses a fairly "stock" Android setup, whereas Samsung, Sony and others tend to customize the OS. The AVD (Android Virtual Device) is actually pretty good for seeing how your app will look on various other device types...hopefully you have a fast PC though (the AVD can be pretty slow).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones