Quick question about tethering

Last Updated:

1. xp2002

xp2002 Member This Topic's Starter

What I'm wondering is if I root my phone and tether it with my laptop for internet will I receive extra charges from verizon?

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

If you dont abuse it the chances of them catching you are pretty slim.

3. mobil3gen

mobil3gen Well-Known Member

PDANet is great for that... I use it daily and avoid the extra fee for tethering - so far no complaints and no extra random charges have shown up on my bill

4. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

Just what OMJ said. Tmo must have caught on to what I was doing. When I got my bill I had a ton of extra charges.

5. xp2002

xp2002 Member This Topic's Starter

OK that's what I was thinking. I wonder how much u could get away with. But anyways thanks for the reply. Now off to put the latest cm on here!

6. jmilljr24

jmilljr24 Member

verizon use to have in their terms of service that if you went over 5gb they would assume you wear tether or something along the lines of that. I think thats been removed but i always stay under 5gb to be on the safe side. 4 months and no extra charges yet.

7. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

With so many people using Pandora, Slacker, Droidlive, Youtube, and [Insert your favorite streaming app here], I really doubt they are watching data usage "amounts" very closely. There probably ARE particular servers(I.E. live console gaming servers, known torrent servers, etc.) that would be a huge giveaway. Also a super-size download would seem to be a giveaway..

It all boils down to the "Don't abuse it" statement.