Quick question - I've never installed nandroid, just wiped and used the updates.zip

Last Updated:

1. xodustrance

xodustrance Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Quick question - I've never installed nandroid, just wiped and used the updates.zip

I just installed the recovery console and rooted. Since then, I just copy the cooked rom's update.zip onto my SD card, run recovery, perform a factory wipe, then install the rom.

Seems to work great. But am I running any risks by doing this? I don't care about the factory wipes at all. Besides preserving phone apps and settings, does nandroid save me from anything that my current process doesnt?

*obviously I don't understand nandroid that well. But I prefer wiping and install update.zips as my phone is fresh and clear everytime I do. But do I run any risks by not using nandroid?

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

You're essentially doing the same thing in a backhanded manner.

The update.zip is used to update your current ROM as it is in your phone - you're better off grabbing the Nandroids since you are wiping anyway, as those are complete.

Thus far Nandroids and updates are usually pretty much the same, but in the future the updates may in fact become exactly that - simple updates that only contain the parts of the ROM that are getting updated - and in that case you run the risk of having a phone that is no longer able to boot.

If I were you, I'd get familiar with the Nandroid method, as you're wiping anyway, so it makes more sense to have the entire backup ready to restore.

3. xodustrance

xodustrance Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok I feel incredibly ****ing ******ed.... Nandroid is on there apparently, I did a nandroid backup before I installed the 7.4 rom, and the recovery had a nandroid restore option.

Thanks for explaining it tho, I appreciate it.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

No worries, m8. Now you know.