Quick question on battery management

Last Updated:

1. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've currently been rooted and running 2.0d for the absolute longest because it runs very well on my Hero. My question to you all is for battery management do any of you regularly toggle off the mobile network (meaning do you have it on maybe for an hr or 2, then turn it off if ur driving and not using data, then when your back at the office toggling it back on to check news feeds or something)? I ask because some of you get battery life extending out to 30-36hrs, I want to know if any one actually leaves on mobile network (or possibly WiFi) and still gets 30+ hours of battery life with moderate use at best?

Side note: I usually get 12+ hours out of my Hero before its compelely dead, which I can deal with. Being that I use the device moderate to heavily its not a big deal to me. Today I took my Hero off my charger at 1pm fully charged, its now about 8:25pm and I'm sitting at 59%. So in about 7 and a half hours I only used 40% in moderately high usage which isn't bad at all.

Advertisement
  2. what_stanger?

what_stanger? Member

I don't really turn mobile network off, although I used to.. and the battery life seemed better (placebo?--I also turned off gps and background data/google data). I'm not one who gets 30+hours with "moderate" usage though either. It's hard to talk battery life because one persons moderate usage could be another persons heavy usage.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help but I'm interested in seeing if anyone actually turns mobile network off and sees major improvements in battery life:D

3. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

To be direct, I used to toggle off mobile network but found that A: it didn't seem to help save battery at all, B: it was annoying to turn back on because I'd forget to until I got some network error. IMO, not worth messing with.

4. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well I see dramatic improvement in battery life simply because no data is being used in the background. But as Joe pointed out its kind of a headache to toggle it on and off. After testing my battery last night after 12 hours I still had 26% battery life left after heavy usage. I think that's pretty impressive. Just want to get a sense at where everyone is at.

5. dpeeps74

dpeeps74 Well-Known Member

i've pretty much given up on trying to "manage my battery". my battery management consist of owning 3 chargers (2 wall and 1 vehicle) and several usb cables, so that i can just plug my phone in when i need to. i've tried "calibrating" my battery on a few occassions and it doesn't seem to make a difference for me. today is a pretty typical day for me, and after ~4.5 hours of being unplugged, i'm at 67% left.

6. cephraim

cephraim Well-Known Member

Try Juice Defender. It turns off mobile data automatically whenever your screen is off.

7. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

If switching off mobile network "dramatically" helps your battery then it is because you have too many apps polling for updates. You should just turn down (or off) your update frequency if this is your problem as switching off mobile network is redundant.