• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Quick question - unbranding and updates

Hi all, ive had a look for this but seem to be confusing myself.

Ive read the How To guides for unbranding my Orange HTC Desire, easy enough process. But, the guides and forum say offical OTA updates are not effected but this Guide states that:

FAQ

Will I receive OTA updates after this?
You should. You can also apply manual updates by zip files.

Do I need my goldcard for updates?
If your phone was originally branded you will need the goldcard for all unbranded updates, not just this one.

Is that true just for that process or is it true for all unbranding methods? If so, how do i do an OTA update with a Goldcard?

Edit to add - Is the above FAQ quote referring separately to OTA updates and manual flash updates?

Thanks

Make your sd card or a spare one into a gold card, if you use your main one as a goldcard it will be ok to keep in the phone all the time.
You will need your goldcard for all OTA updates, if you are on Orange you can get simlocked unless your phone is unlocked.

Gold card tool can be found in this link along with guides for rooting etc.

Upvote 0
If you make your permanent sdcard your goldcard, you will not have to change it when updates are available, just download OTA as normal. Make a backup goldcard though incase your sdcard corrupts or is damaged.

I used the RUU method to debrand my Desire and get 2.2 and soon after received the OTA update to the new radio and rom version from HTC, so yes you will get OTA updates.

Reactions: caracortada_uk
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones