Quick Question

Last Updated:

1. fhsfish

fhsfish Active Member This Topic's Starter

Apr 13, 2010
    I have been back and forth about rooting and am nearly ready to take the leap...but i have one last question before i make a final decision.

When you root and flash new roms, i know you have to reload your apps and other settings, but do you have to reprogram your phone through VZW every time? I know myself that I would go through several roms trying to find one that fits perfectly.

Thanks again.

2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Nov 29, 2009
    The phone retains your phone number, you don't need to contact Verizon or do anything on their web site. There is a brief setup to be done on the phone after each flash - it takes me just a couple of minutes to go through it. The phone needs to know your gmail address for the market and such. There are also some setups for Facebook, I'm not a Facebook guy, so I can't say for sure how long that step takes, though I assume it's just wanting to know your login and password for syncing.
  3. selvikin

selvikin Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I just rooted and flashed Evil Eris 3.0 onto mine yesterday using the Universal Eris Root for Dummies method(from the latest OTA), and yes you do have to get your programs from the market, or if you've backed up your apps with Astro or some other b/u app, you can reload it through that back up app. Wasn't tough to get through it all... Don't have to reprogram your phone, but you have to go through the setup.

Thinking of checking out KaosFroyo in the near future too and some of the other ROMs
  4. ljbaumer

ljbaumer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    it's really no problem to sign back in with you google account and facebook,twitter, etc.

for me (i've done it at least 20 or 30 times) it takes maybe 2 minutes at most and then all you do is restore you apps and you should be all set.
  5. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    There is actually an option that allows Google to backup your settings. I don't know where it is normally located, but it's an option when you are setting up your phone using the wizard after a factory reset (or ROM flash). So when I flashed a new ROM last night, it imported all of my settings (brightness, volumes, options, etc), which I thought was awesome. The only thing I don't think it kept was ringtone/notification sound assignments.