Quick Question

Last Updated:

1. blackbook88

blackbook88 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have an unrooted motorola droid. I am considering rooting but my question to you is will rooting my phone give me the ability to make it faster? I see people talking about "overclocking" help me understand how this works. All my friends who have "jailbroken" their iphones have made their phones noticeably slower and laggier. I wont root my droid if this is the same case. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement
  2. jxker

jxker Well-Known Member

this explains some of it
    hxxp://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/8906-complete-how-root-busybox-flash-recovery-framework-res-apk-custom-boot-ani.html

rooting your phone by itself wont make it faster or slower..a custom rom that can be overclocked will improve speed.....i am a newb to this and went through a few roms and finally took the plunge to 2.1 and wont look back

3. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

Check out the Rooting thread at the top of the page, or just google it and you'll get tons of info. imho, just wait a day or so and get the 2.1 update, see if it's fast enough, and then root after if you want.

4. blackbook88

i really want to root my droid. I have 2.0.1 where would i start?

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

6. blackbook88

i keep finding different guides with different steps. Whats one site that will work for a non rooted droid straight to a rooted 2.1 droid?

7. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Root Your Droid is the best guide out there and is updated often. You will need to download a 2.1 ROM like Pete's BB ESE53 from alldroid.org after rooting. If you want a no hassle way then after you have rooted go to the market and download rom manager and hit flash clockwork recovery then download rom and choose 5.4.0.2 and select all the check boxes that pop up.

8. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

yep, i did not know that jailbreaking an iphone makes it slower! i guess droid does! probably part of the reason it gets slower is cause they make it multi task, which its not supposed to natively do. over clocking is easy and changes nothing once you are rooted.

9. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

My friend's iPhone wasn't slower but it did compromise stability. And like the iPhone's phone ability needed to get any worse..., he was dropping calls like mad. ...if it even connected the call.

10. stedrocklp

stedrocklp Well-Known Member

Just so you are aware to "overclock" you need SetCPU (paid app but worth every penny), and you need a custom 2.1 rom of your liking with an overclocking kernel or to flash a new kernel after the rom. Make sure to check compatibility between ROM/Kernel. I personally have everything the 2.1 OTA will plus more and I find it hard to believe it will be faster than a rooted droid. I run 900 MHZ with absolutely no issues and she flies like the wind.

11. blackbook88

i rooted my droid but now i want to get smoked glass. How do i get sirpsychos on my phone because its required for smoked glass

12. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

download the app DM Updater and then when you run it it will dl SPRecovery and ask if you want to flash it, say yea and flash it. I personally use clockwork mod Revocry now though. I dont think anything can beat koush's rom

13. blackbook88

where can i download dm updater?

14. ssantan2

droidmod.org there is a link on the home page near the middle, you gotta scroll a bit

15. blackbook88

thankss!

16. blackbook88

i got recovery and everything installed, but when i put smoked glass on my sd card root then go into recovery and try and install it it doesnt work because afterwards my firmware is still 2.0.1

17. ssantan2

which smoked glass are you putting on?