• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Quick Remote - Crippled version for Pre-Paid?

Entropic

Oct 21, 2012
Writing this to confirm I'm not crazy...

I was excited by teh Quick Remote feature of this phone, and looked it up on other phones before buying. The LG G2\3 appear to have a wide variety of devices pre-programmed, and the ability to teach unknown remotes in teh "universal remote" section.

The LG Volt: TV and Cable box. No other options. WTF

And of course generic IR apps can't access the LG IR emitter, since they locked it up in an arbitrary API. I think it's related to the QuicksetSDK installed on this phone, as it's listed as Quickset Lite. Since im rooted, I swapped it out with one from the G2 that I found, but no luck in unlocking more functionality.

Anyone else annoyed by this? Am I just crazy and not using the app correctly?

EDIT: LG Response:
Mariangie: Hello Bryan Nelson. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
Bryan Nelson: Hello
Mariangie: Hi there, Good Evening :)
Bryan Nelson: I was wondering if the LG Volt Quick Remote function can be upgraded to include other devices and the Universal Remote function that other LG phones have
Bryan Nelson: I have a TCL TV which isn't very common, so I doubt it will ever be included in teh standard list of manufacturers.
Mariangie: Unfortunately no it cant be updated

So I'm not crazy! I call conspiracy to make Pre-Paid options look worse compared to the big carriers. This is in no way a hardware limitation. Boo.

I understand your frustration. I got lucky and have a Hisense TV, which is an LG brand. I would like to point out though that those 'support' reps, if it was even an actual person, have very limited information and will not give you any sort of speculative answer. It's possible that there will be an upgrade in the future.

I address your present situation, if you have a cable box with HDMI and your TV supports ARC functions, you might be able to control the volume through the cable box.

Upvote 0
Yea, I noticed this a long time ago when I played with my uncles g flex. I remember there was a flashable version of it but forgot about it till now. Since we have cwm now I'm gonna try flashing it when I get the chance.

Also (and this is probably common sense) try using the other brands / models that are listed if you can't find yours. I did this for an old Magnavox/RCA tv I had and finally found one that fully works under another company's drivers (can't remember which one worked).

There's a lot of different signal combos, but they aren't unlimited so odds are you can at least find one that controls most of (if not all) of your TV's functions.

That said, it is annoying they intentionally included crippled software.

Upvote 0
I understand your frustration. I got lucky and have a Hisense TV, which is an LG brand. I would like to point out though that those 'support' reps, if it was even an actual person, have very limited information and will not give you any sort of speculative answer. It's possible that there will be an upgrade in the future.

I address your present situation, if you have a cable box with HDMI and your TV supports ARC functions, you might be able to control the volume through the cable box.

THANKS so much dididn't know LG made hisense TV wish I could have read this sooner

Upvote 0
What? LG is Korean. Hisense is Chinese.

http://www.hisense-usa.com/about/
Huh...I was told, by the sales guy, when I bought my first Hisense that it was LGs generic brand, same TV, less features. It uses LG remote codes (I know that doesn't necessarily mean any correlation by itself), and I never bothered to look further into it. I just went on the assumption that LG owned Hisense and used them to make basic devices. I just looked around and I can't seem to find any connection between the two companies, so yeah, that's some bullshit I was told apparently. Oh well, it's a decent TV at a good price. The one I have is 1080p 40", 3 HDMI ports, CEC/ARC, paid $350 (with extended warranty) about 3 years ago. :)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones