Quick Review

Last Updated:

1. VentureForth

VentureForth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok - I know that everyone who owns a Captivate wants to write a review on it, and there are some great ones out there. So this is my impression of the phone after owning it for a week in a quick, easy to read format.

Hardware
    Nice case. Buttons easily pushed when holding in landscape, but can be trained to avoid. Screen sensitivity is good. Menu buttons not quite as sensitive, especially when screen protector is applied.

GPS
    GPS worked right out of the box and without any sort of clue, it locked on within 2 minutes the first time I turned it on.

Battery
    Battery life sucks. I think I hear the electrons FLYING out of the battery into the little AMOLED screen. Folks have said that after the battery is conditioned over a couple weeks, the life gets better. I think it gets better because after a couple of weeks, you're not playing Angry Birds on it for 18 hours straight.

Samsung Widgets
    Most of the Samsung widgets are lame. Daily Briefing is pretty cool as is Message Buddy. Only downfall to Daily Briefing is that it doesn't update regularly, so it's pretty useless for weather, news, twitter, and facebook.

AT&T Widgets
    Avoid these if you want to keep your phone bill normal.

Basic Apps
    Native EMail client works fine and syncs nice with GMail. But links - especially long ones - don't work well. GMail the App is fine for Gmail, but also has linking problems. Replaced with K-9 Mail and would love to pay for that App.

Calendar App doesn't accept meeting invites. A big downer. I understand that Touchdown is a good replacement, but not willing to pay $20 for it.

Docs to Go for free is worse than on other platforms. In addition to limited features, it also adds ads. On sale until 12/15 for $15. Get the paid version - its worth it!

Alarm didn't play nice on the clock app as much as I would have liked it to, so I replaced it with the free Alarm Clock Plus.

Navigator is a GREAT tool. Just wish it would allow me to have the map following on without a destination in mind. Bought Co-Pilot Live on sale for $3 so that I could download maps in case I ever get out of cell phone coverage (which happened a couple weeks ago while I was waiting for this phone and would have been a lifesaver if UPS didn't screw up...never mind).

Live Wallpapers are just cool. Watch the Galaxy spin, or make a ripple in water or touch the dandellion and watch the seeds fly away... An ADHD dream!

Conclusion
    Over all, I think if you were an iPhone user, you'd be riding the fence on whether or not to switch to the Captivate. However, if you are on any other phone, Blackberry included, you will love this gadget!

Advertisement
  2. arthur568

arthur568 Member

You know there is QuickOffice for Captivate for free right?

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

GPS: You're lucky

Battery: care to quantify "sucks"? What sort of life are you getting? I've had people consider anything less than 24 hours to "suck".

Calendar: there are better calendars than stock, and available free.

Arthur already mentioned QuickOffice

4. bruceinman

bruceinman Active Member

It's likely Live Wallpaper that is contributing to your poor battery performance

5. JayFReaZy

JayFReaZy Active Member

I think battery life is "decent". Its nothing compared to what my previous N97 outputted, but its still bearable. I can go at least 12 hrs with a good amount texting/voice calls/internet updates.

What I find that does drain the battery quickly is service. The other day I was in a seminar in which my 3G service kept going in and out. I went into the seminar with about a good 85-90% of battery life. The seminar lasted from 5:30-8, I might have used my phone a few times to check the time and send a text or two, but when I got out my battery was down to about 65% It went down about 20-30% in a couple of hours with almost no usage. So, if you're in a building or home where the service isn't so great, I'd expect the battery life to be an issue.

6. VentureForth

VentureForth Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok...ok.... Docs To Go registered is better than Quick Office (which didn't render some of my .ppt files accurately), but Quick Office is better than the demo for Docs to Go (which is the stock Blackberry demo app).

Sucks, quantified, <=14 hours. Again, some of it is being glued to it out of excitement. Now that I have power supplies at work, home and in the car, I don't notice the drain so much. I never had that bad of drain on my Blackberry Bold unless I was streaming audio for hours.

7. LMaxwell

LMaxwell Well-Known Member

Just a few comments...

Ditch the Live wallpapers and watch your battery life instantly improve. Live wallpapers might be pretty, but they are probably the main cause of your battery life suckage.

Daily Briefing does update. Have you looked at the configuration options?

As someone already said, you should check out Quickoffice. It's free.

Try pressing the Map tab in the upper right corner.

Battery killer...

8. jaydee77ca

jaydee77ca Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand why a live wallpaper would kill the battery? Shouldn't it only run when the display is on? When the phone is sleeping the live wallpaper shouldn't be consuming any battery.

9. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

What an app should do and what it does are often two very different things. I've confirmed with task managers/monitors that some live wallpapers still use CPU... sometimes massive amounts of CPU (50-80%)... even when you can't see them.

10. fldude99

fldude99 Well-Known Member

I always have some sort of live wallpaper going, and when I go into the battery usage it almost always shows live wallpaper in the 1-2% range. So would that confirm that the live wallpaper is not a battery use culprit?