Quick SPrecovery flash help

Last Updated:

1. haut92

haut92 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have my phone rooted and in bootloader mode but when I try to load the latest SPRecovery through RSD lite 4.6 it says. Failed flashing process.

I think I need to run the md5sum but I cant figure out exactly what to type in the command box to bring it up right. If it is a problem with one of the files, where can I download other versions?

Also, while I'm at it... What exactly is the C:\ root directory?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. jxker

jxker Well-Known Member

i can answer half your question:
    the c root directory is simply the "c" drive, where you will see your program files folder, etc

3. haut92

ok, got md5sum to work and the numbers matched up, same error message

EDIT: Thanks, that's exactly what I figured

4. haut92

Restarted computer: No luck. Unrooted: No Luck. Still unrooted, I can get the file that way yes? If the file is indeed bad, do I simply keep downloading from the same source?

...guess I'll leave it unrooted for today and start up again after work tomorrow. Any help would be awesome

5. haut92

Ok, got it to flash unrooted by putting it in my documents. Now I can not for the life of me get it away from the dead battery screen. Tried atleast ten times then left the battery out throughout my shift and no luck after...

Trying to reflash it now but really don't know what the problem is.

6. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

you mean when you actually boot up the phone it says the battery is dead?

7. haut92

Ya, then I take the battery out (wait anywhere from 1 minute to 6 hours) and reboot holding x. SPRecovery reboot screen shows up but when it actually starts it still has the dead battery and force closes on system. Do I need to wipe it? I reflashed it but no luck, could it be because I am going out of my documents?

8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

The file you used to put SPRecovery onto your phone will do this - you now need to flash a 2.2 ROM onto your phone.

Known issue - if you used OMJ's guide he even states it.

9. haut92

WOW, completely added a step 17.5.

So how do I get a recovery file of my original everything just in case something goes terribly wrong? I thought that is what SPRecovery was for before I flashed my first rom?

EDIT: eh, can't seem to get the phone to start while holding X, if I let go and leave it plugged in it eventually turns on. If I try to roboot in bootloader it tells me my battery is low and I cannot program. I am trying to charge it but it keeps going through a continuous reboot to SPRecovery and then shut off. The phone DOES NOT FEEL WARM like it is charging...

The window of RSD Lite says I cannot close it or it will DAMAGE the device, but it loaded it and the phone started right up originally.

Starting to think my phone is currently a brick, it isnt charging, won't reboot with x, and won't use bootloader till it charges. Not a good way to go to bed:(

10. johnlgalt

Was your battery already low to begin with?

And you can close RSDLite.

Use it to flash a regular 2.1 ROM onto the phone, then charge your battery

Then start this process again.

11. haut92

It was at about 50% and plugged into the comp the whole time? I think maybe my laptop cooling pad was drawing too much power

Can't get bootloader to do anything but tell me my battery is low and then shut off... Have downloaded 2.1 ROM already to jump into action with it.

The charge light only goes on while it is pluged into the computer, not the wall. The phone itself will only turn on for more than a minute if it is plugged into the wall

I have work again in the morning so I'm probably going to call it a night. Would it be best to leave the phone plugged into the computer with the charge light on or leave it on and plugged into the wall for SPRecovery.

OR, should I find someone with a droid to get their charged battery in there long enough to revert back to stock 2.1? If the battery wont charge with SPRecov then I think this is my best option

12. johnlgalt

Use used RSDLite to get your phone to this state - use it again to put a stock 2.1 ROM on the phone and then let it charge.

I cannot be certain, bu even if the light is on does not necessarily mean that it is charging, when in Recovery. - I cannot confirm nor deny that it does, so if I were you I'd play it safe and RSDLite to a 2.1 stock ROM and then let it boot and plug it in.

13. haut92

That's my goal but I can't get it to stay open or connect to RSD when I boot and hold up due to low battery. I am going to leave it plugged into the wall tonight and hopefully it will have the little juice it takes to get this done tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all your help and any additional support is greatly appreciated. Believe me I have been scowering these forums to avoid asking too many of these Qs...

...Just found out my phone has been sending a text to my gf every time it reboots. I need to charge it so she'll be getting a text every 2 minutes till tomorrow morning

14. haut92

It is running warm and the battery is holding NO charge after 20 mins of wall charging. I think I won't leave it plugged in on second thought. Seems to me

15. haut92

The Bootloader still says the battery is too low cannot program...

I really think my only way out of this is to find someone with a droid and charge my battery in their phone/use their charged one. Unfortunately the only person I know w/our phone wont be back in town until tuesday. Maybe I will get lucky today and someone will leave their charger and phone in their car when I valet it haha

16. haut92

Took it to a verizon store and they charged my battery for about 15 minutes in a droid, couldnt get them to charge it much longer since I just had the battery... bootloader still says battery is too low.

I can actually get it to start up wile holding X and go to recovery but it will only stay on if it is plugged into the wall (not the comp) so I cant load FRG01b... Should I wait for a full charge or is there something else I could try?

EDIT: Ok, so I got it to stay on long enough to load up the FRG01b ROM and rename it update.zip. Now, when I try to install, it fails instantly. It says update.zip failed.

17. haut92

Tried to install FRG22. It said that system/update.zip install blocked after it verifies, then the install is aborted... Still can't get bootloader to work.

18. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

are you pressing Allow udate.zip installation?

19. haut92

I wasn't when it was getting blocked but I was before and am now.

When I don't press it it refers to it as update.zip. When I do press it, it refers to it as sdcard/update.zip and says that it could not be found. Could that be the problem?

When I press allow update.zip it flashes the screen quickly but nothing changes, then I press install /sdcard/update.zip. It finds it, opens it, but then cannot pass the verifying stage. It says 'E: cant open /sdcard/update.zip, no such file or directory, instalation aborted'

I am on vista so I am going to try just naming it update but all the other files on my phone have the .whatever attached to them. have to wait for my battery to be able to stay on through usb though...

Been to about 6 VZ stores too, now that the phone isn't on display I cant find anyone to help, first time VZ has let me down in all the years Ive used them:(

20. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Some have had to reboot several times and keep trying to apply the update.zip for it to work. They were allowing the installation each time. Im not sure what is causing that but for some reason its happening to a few people.

Alternatively you could always sbf back to stock so your phone is usable again.

21. haut92

Renaming the file did it. Wow, I was scared to death the battery would run out while it was loading but it did it. I now have root access. Only problem I have noticed so far is handcent being messed up but I figure I will just uninstall and reinstall and hopefully it will be good.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

/edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled handcent but it still shows three new texts that I can't read or see. When I clear notifications it just pops up again within a minute?