• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Quick Tip for making apps load faster (or Appear too)

charlies99

Jul 28, 2010
Hi

I have posted in last couple of days about removing task manager and how the phone improves better without them.

After reading responses and how Android manages memory in general, I think I have found a solution to what made me want a Task Killer in the first place which was:-

Photos, internet and messages (Handscent) seemed to take a while to load (not good if you are showing off your phone).

So, after uninstalling ATK what I now do after I have been in these apps is to exit with the home key instead of the back key.

They seem to load immediately into the previous state (as this is kept in memory even if the app is closed, or rather switched) and I can then carry on as the app has had time to reload into memory. Result is I notice no lag.

I think the difference is and would appreciate comments on:-

1 if you kill an app it keeps running in background until android decides to kill it and will take longer to load when you go back into said app, unless you go into it before Android kills it.
2 if you dont fully exit, ie switch screens, it keeps a small amount of memory reserved for how the app was before Android killed. When you go back in it instantly returns from memory the state before Android killed it whilst restarting the process so you do not notice lag
3 For apps like i have mentioned this means web pages, thumbnails are available immediately whilst the actual program is loading
4 This seems like a very good compromise when swap memory is not available, and maybe even BETTER !!
5 What is another word for Thesaurous ?

From what I know, if you exit with the back button, android closes the app down and purges it from the RAM. If you exit with the home key however, the app is put into a dormant state that uses no CPU, but stays in the RAM. This means when you start the app up again, it is instantly available for use, as the RAM is far faster to access than the phone memory or SD card.

Upvote 0
I dont understand that the photos , internet and messaging loads slowly for you in the first place. They appear virtually immediately i press the icons maybe you have something on your phone slowing them down or you are low on memory by any chance?

Yeah I have about a gig of photos and shit load of messages, so if the apps are restarted then the system will have to reindex everything...that causes it to look like lag....Apart from if i do as I have stated in the post....it obviously stll lags, you just dont notice it :D Android is better at handling memory than windows !!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones