quickest way to charge my eris?General

Last Updated:

1. incrediblenotinstock

incrediblenotinstock Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

what is the quickest way i can charge my droid eris?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Put it in the microwave on high for eleven minutes.

Just kidding; don't do that.

The wall charge works fastest for mine, as opposed to the PC "charge only"
    method.

I'm of the mind that slow is better, though.

3. incrediblenotinstock

why is slower better? jw

4. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Wall charger, probably.

I make sure I charge it at night, while asleep.

Once a day is pretty super if you don't listen to Pandora for hours on-end.

5. pkopalek

Anything faster than the stock HTC wall charger is probably too fast.

When 'charging', the forward chemical reaction to 'charge' the battery has an optimal rate. Plugging it into something with a (in lamen's terms) faster rate of charge will charge the battery at a rate that is BEYOND the optimal chemical reaction rate, and reduce the life of your battery.

Slower is not BAD, but anything in the range of -% charging (discharging normally) and charging at the rate that the HTC wall charger charges +% won't much affect your battery's ultimate lifespan.

I use a third-party (cheap) Blackberry charger sometimes who outputs a slightly higher voltage (so it seems) - my touch screen on my phone won't even work properly while it's plugged in. I must recommend AGAINST this - and as well, it doesn't seem to actually charge the phone any faster.

The wall charger from HTC is your #1 choice.

incrediblenotinstock likes this.
  6. incrediblenotinstock

gotcha :) thank you that is what i use. cept i use my compputer to charge it since i tether at the same time

7. funkyfender

funkyfender Well-Known Member

I thought all mini/micro USB adapters were standardized at 5V? Personally, that sounds more like a defective charger or one that has grounding issues.

Even if the charger was rated for 5V at 5A, you'd be fine. The phone is only going to draw as much energy as it needs to charge.

8. Human

Human Member

I think the car charger is the fastest.

9. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

This. The most I have ever seen for a device is 1A. And I probably won't go any higher than that.

10. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I can't say what the fastest way is, but the stock wall charger is considerably faster than plugging it in to a computer. I would have thought they'd be about the same, but it doesn't seem to be that way.

11. jps

jps Well-Known Member

12. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

That looks too long. How did it end? Did it explode and become apple sauce?

13. pkopalek

On 3 of the 7 Eris's I've activated on my number, the touch screen would go haywire even plugged into the HTC wall charger.

Some of the cheaper wall chargers aren't made as well, and the method use to transform voltage to the correct (5v) amount, although the same, is hindered by cheaper materials and workmanship.

The touch screen on our phone is known to go haywire when high-power chargers are connected, as the positive and negative terminals of the battery are VERY close to the capacitive sensitivity range of the touchscreen.

A capacitive touch screen works by the fact that your finger (or whatever you use) has an electromagnetic field.

The 'charging' action of your phone generates (obviously) an electromagnetic field. Our phones are designed so compact that where the battery terminals connect to the charger (behind the bottom part of your touch screen), the minor electromagnetic field created actually creates a 'touch' on your touchscreen. Once the touch starts 'touching', your capactive touchscreen keeps seeing it.

It has been reported a THOUSAND times in different threads of people saying "My Eris has gone crazy!" or "Ghosts in my phone!" and things like that. It's that some phones, by manufacturing deviation (VERY slightly) are more prone to it than others - and some chargers (like the cheap one I use) render the touchscreen almost USEless with most Eris's, and especially the sensitive ones.

It is to note that, even those seeing the problem severely (like my first Eris) virtually NEVER see it when plugged into a computer to charge (charges at 1/2 or 1/3 speed, sometimes just called a 'trickle charge') because the electromagnetic field generated is much smaller.

14. OhBe1

OhBe1 Well-Known Member

Are we still talking about charging phones? ;)

I, too, have noticed that my Eris acts funny if I try to use it while it is charging with the wall cord. I don't recall any issues when charging via my computer's USB port.

15. HunterJohnson

HunterJohnson Well-Known Member

just wondering how long it takes everyone to charge from complete dead till full charge( the light is no longer orange but has turned green).

I cant remember if this was one of my old bb charges or the stock charge but the time was around 1 hour 45 min.