• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

quickest way to charge my eris?

why is slower better? jw

Anything faster than the stock HTC wall charger is probably too fast.

When 'charging', the forward chemical reaction to 'charge' the battery has an optimal rate. Plugging it into something with a (in lamen's terms) faster rate of charge will charge the battery at a rate that is BEYOND the optimal chemical reaction rate, and reduce the life of your battery.

Slower is not BAD, but anything in the range of -% charging (discharging normally) and charging at the rate that the HTC wall charger charges +% won't much affect your battery's ultimate lifespan.

I use a third-party (cheap) Blackberry charger sometimes who outputs a slightly higher voltage (so it seems) - my touch screen on my phone won't even work properly while it's plugged in. I must recommend AGAINST this - and as well, it doesn't seem to actually charge the phone any faster.

The wall charger from HTC is your #1 choice.

Upvote 0
I use a third-party (cheap) Blackberry charger sometimes who outputs a slightly higher voltage (so it seems) - my touch screen on my phone won't even work properly while it's plugged in. I must recommend AGAINST this - and as well, it doesn't seem to actually charge the phone any faster.

I thought all mini/micro USB adapters were standardized at 5V? Personally, that sounds more like a defective charger or one that has grounding issues.

Even if the charger was rated for 5V at 5A, you'd be fine. The phone is only going to draw as much energy as it needs to charge.

Upvote 0
I thought all mini/micro USB adapters were standardized at 5V? Personally, that sounds more like a defective charger or one that has grounding issues.

Even if the charger was rated for 5V at 5A, you'd be fine. The phone is only going to draw as much energy as it needs to charge.

This. The most I have ever seen for a device is 1A. And I probably won't go any higher than that.

Upvote 0
On 3 of the 7 Eris's I've activated on my number, the touch screen would go haywire even plugged into the HTC wall charger.

Some of the cheaper wall chargers aren't made as well, and the method use to transform voltage to the correct (5v) amount, although the same, is hindered by cheaper materials and workmanship.

The touch screen on our phone is known to go haywire when high-power chargers are connected, as the positive and negative terminals of the battery are VERY close to the capacitive sensitivity range of the touchscreen.

A capacitive touch screen works by the fact that your finger (or whatever you use) has an electromagnetic field.

The 'charging' action of your phone generates (obviously) an electromagnetic field. Our phones are designed so compact that where the battery terminals connect to the charger (behind the bottom part of your touch screen), the minor electromagnetic field created actually creates a 'touch' on your touchscreen. Once the touch starts 'touching', your capactive touchscreen keeps seeing it.

It has been reported a THOUSAND times in different threads of people saying "My Eris has gone crazy!" or "Ghosts in my phone!" and things like that. It's that some phones, by manufacturing deviation (VERY slightly) are more prone to it than others - and some chargers (like the cheap one I use) render the touchscreen almost USEless with most Eris's, and especially the sensitive ones.

It is to note that, even those seeing the problem severely (like my first Eris) virtually NEVER see it when plugged into a computer to charge (charges at 1/2 or 1/3 speed, sometimes just called a 'trickle charge') because the electromagnetic field generated is much smaller.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones