Quickly find phone number

Last Updated:

1. randynef

randynef Active Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone have a suggestion to quickly find a phone number in your contacts. I would like to just type the persons name in instead of a letter and having all the first and last names with letter t come up. I have alot opf contacts and sometimes i have to scroll down quite a bit and it takes a little time. A different app maybe?

Advertisement
  2. memphis9489

memphis9489 Well-Known Member

Go to your phone dialer and just hit the keys that correspond with any part of their name.

Let's say you want to call "John Doe" but you don't know his phone number nor do you want to scroll through the whole phone list trying to find his name.

It doesn't really matter whether you start typing "John" or "Doe", it will sort through your phone list either way.

Let's say you decide to "Doe"

So, you would hit "3" on your keypad because that represents the letters DEF. As soon as you do that, only contacts with the letter DEF will show up. Then you hit "6" because that represents the letters MNO. By then, you'll probably already see who you want to call - with only 2 quick key strokes.

You might want to make the virtual keypad disappear so you can see the full list of qualifying contacts.

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

There was an alternative phonebook app that had a list of letters across the top of the screen, so you could easily narrow down to a beginning letter, can't for the life of me remember the name tho.

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Try it - it works! :)

At the dialler, instead of entering a number enter the name you wish to call e.g. for "John Smith" you'd enter "5646".... which will list all "John" entries. Continue adding letters to filter further.

HTH

edit: Memphis0489 beat me to it, and with a better explanation too :eek:

5. jaybea830802

jaybea830802 Well-Known Member

You could also try aTAKEphONE from the Market (or look at ShSh Software). I used it as my dialler on my Palm Treo and it was very good. The Android version needs more work but it allows searching on Company Name, for example. On balance I prefer the HTC dialler over the current version of aTAKEphONE, but it depends on your needs - I think aTAKEphONE is probably more useful on vanilla Android phones that don't have HTC Sense/dialler.

6. peterb23

peterb23 Well-Known Member

Also, once you start scrolling your contact list then you should see a small grey bar in the top right hand corner of your screen. Press on this and the bar will extend across the screen. By moving your finger up and down you can quickly jump to any letter in the phone book.

7. randynef

randynef Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks fopr the tips everyone!

8. Tormentor

Tormentor New Member

I was used to symbian phones and my phonebook in my previous N95 was just what I wanted for searching contacts. Easy find easy call listed as by last name cause I have to search among 700 contacts. Even the sync with Outlook via Pc Suite gave me the satisfaction of having the things where and how I wanted (even though there was a comflict between 2 mobile numbers in the same contact). With my new HTC hero I realised that I lost the easy going dialer I had. I cant find a contact easily and its smart dialer doesn't suits me cause it doesnt work well with my (Greek named) contacts...hard to find hard to dial needs time to find the contact u want!!! I am getting pissed off when I delay to find smthing on time!!!It has no option of last or first name display!!! Why is that?

So I downloaded every app concerning organizing, showing, dialing finding contacts but I am still having problem. These apps are :1. aContacts 2. Contacts Blast lite 3. Easy dialer 4.phonebook 5. Star Contact, but only phonebook app is close to what I want. My friends and my bro told me that androidphone was a bad choice, and for the uses like mine (business uses) I d rather bought a windows mobile to persronalize it in any way!

I like my HTC hero, but I came to the conclusion that those phones are more suitable for kids or someone who gets involved with social networking either for someone who has 10 to 20 contacts to handle in his mobile (as for someone 's wife doesnt work). I was excited of the idea of android opened source but it's still in embryonic stage and I am not a developer neither I have plenty of time to start learning on my 33 y.o.

Though I ll wait the new firmware to see if they can fix some things...at least the useful things (those I believe they are useful... ). I beleive I am not a fanciful character, since I looked up in many forums and I realised that a lot of people have the same problems.

pls convince me I am wrong (maybe because I am an ignorant and new in Android phones). Have everyone a nice day!

9. twondog22

twondog22 Active Member

When u pull up yur contacts press the search button and then start typing...