"Quiet Time"?, different notification for txt, email?

Last Updated:

1. RI_TDI

RI_TDI Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All

1) How can I set the phone to NOT make sounds between certain hours?

2) How can I set different notification tones for txt vs. email? ..or better yet, txt v. POP email v. Gmail?

Thanks
    John

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

1) An app called Locale can do this. I tried it though and found it didn't always work like it was supposed to, and it seemed to dog my DROID down, so I nixxed it. Some people seem to love it though.

2) Most apps have separate notification settings if you dig through the individual settings of each app. The 3rd party apps tend to do this better than the stock ones. I prefer K9 Mail for email, Handcent for messaging, and Touchdown for Exchange mail.

3. i ride a burton

i ride a burton Active Member

You could also try tone picker from the market place

4. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

Locale is now 10 dollars and apparently sucks since it came out of beta.

I'm actually looking for a new app to replace Locale. Any other suggestions?

5. i ride a burton

i ride a burton Active Member

Its 10 bucks now?!?! Wtf are they thinking???

6. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

Try Setting Profiles, it is free and does what Locale did and more.

[​IMG]

7. RI_TDI

Thanks for the responses so far. Can any of you confirm then that these two things are simply not possible with the native apps, or that you are just recommending these other apps b/c you view the native ones as lame?

Setting Profiles addresses the control of you device based on rules (really well - wil keep my geekly self busy for a while) - but doesn't allow you to differentiate non-phone tones, right?

8. jalann

jalann Well-Known Member

Don't know about timing the silence, but setting email to unique tone is easy. Open email app / menu / settings / select ringtone. It overrides the usual Notification tone

9. RI_TDI

I'd be embarassed to have missed something this obvious if I didn't work 12 hr/day. Thanks for this answer.

10. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

I'm trying Settings Profile now. Only one profile is very limiting for an evaluation. However, the 3 dollar price tag is much easier to swallow.

I'll try it with my work profile and see how it goes. Any other suggestions?

11. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

It seems #2 has been answered. I'll expound more on #1.

The phone won't change your notifications sounds or put them on a schedule for you.

There are lots of apps in the market to change your volume, bluetooth, wifi, screen brightness, etc based on time of day. Some have more triggers than just time.

Locale, as already mentioned, is one that can change settings based on different conditions, not just time. ToggleSettings is another. I prefer Setting Profiles myself as it is the least clunky, actually works, allows for changing GPS and auto-sync, which most don't, and it's not $10 like Locale and doesn't stick me with constant notification in the notification bar.

Timeriffic is another that allows you to change settings, but it just does it based only on time and day. It is free and works well. If all you want is time-based switching, and don't need to change GPS or AutoSync, it is my call for your best option, since it is free. Sound Manager will also allow you to change different volumes on a schedule. It is the most straightforward, but only changes volumes, not other phone settings like ringtone, brightness, wifi, bluetooth, etc.

Search "volume" or "scheduler" or "profiles" in the market to see all the different ones to try. I've tried most of them, and the ones I listed here are the ones I liked well enough to even consider keeping. The ones I've settled on are Setting Profiles and Sound Manager. I use sound manager just so I can see the volumes and also toggle vibrate on/off at night since Setting Profiles doesn't toggle vibrate for notifications directly.

12. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

Alarmoid ($) will auto-quiet the phone at the times you specify, but it will also allow folks you pinpoint to get thru. I created a "VIPs" group at my google contacts website, then told Alarmoid to let those folks thru no matter what. Very easy to set up, as it's a one-trick pony. but it performs that trick exceedingly well! Bonus: widget allowing easy/quick shut-up-now for xx minutes/hours.

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/productivity/alarmoid-for-android_cuy.html
    $3.99

13. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

I will check out this Alarmoid, but my first impression is Setting Profiles does all of that and more and for cheaper.

14. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

Quick Profiles.