quirky 3g/1x coverage on the outskirts of townSupport

Last Updated:

1. gmaellex01

gmaellex01 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

May 17, 2010
    I live on the outskirts of a smallish town. Before Alltel sold to Verizon we had poor reception in some spots of my house. Now we get good phone coverage throughout, but data service can be a little odd.

I get the best data coverage in my bedroom because it faces the mountain on which the cell towers are placed. Generally I get great 3g coverage though it seems to slow a little during peak hours. Occasionally, however, it will randomly decide to switch to 1x while I'm still in my room and signal strength is ok. This is understandable since 3g coverage at my house isn't incredible but here's the quirky part: if I power off my phone and turn it back on it goes back to 3g. What is this? I don't even...

What are some explanations for this? How can I fix it? Have you had a similar experience?

I love my phone btw, and I suspect that I won't ever have this problem in areas with better coverage. I'm lucky it works this well, actually; at&t phones won't even receive calls inside my house. I generally get 500k/sec at mobilespeedtest.com but have gotten up to 1.2m/sec on one occasion.