Quite a simple question me thinks.

Last Updated:

1. Ste20man

Ste20man Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have just bought the Desire and I am really loving it.

I have everything set up as I want it but need to ask a really basic question.

I need to know how to switch on/off the different kind of data streams that are available. I have figured out using some widgets that Wi-fi, Bluetooth and GPS are no problem, I have them on one screen. The two I see that I am not 100% sure on are:

'Mobile networks' - I think this might be 3G for when you are out and about

and

Hotspot - I don't really have a clue what that might be for as when I am at home near my Wifi computer signal I just turn on the regular Wifi widget which seems to work really well. (Maybe this gives more download speed? I don't know).

If anyone can help me with this I'd be grateful,

Cheers,

Ste.

Advertisement
  2. BigGuy07

BigGuy07 Member

Hold your top power button, you can chose the bottom option mobile network on/off..Thats your data/3G,

3. JudithPrietht

JudithPrietht Well-Known Member

mobile networks is for any data/internet connection while you're out and about, without wifi in range

wifi hotspot enables other devices to connect to your phone's internet connection - e.g. connecting a laptop via wifi to your phone to go online. this'll go through your data allowance really quickly, but it's not easy to accidentally activate as you'd also need to set up passwords and so on before another device could connect. might drain you battery if you had it on accidentally, though.

4. Ste20man

Ste20man Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Two great answers, easy to understand and straight to the point.

Appreciated, cheers, Ste.

5. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Or download Extended Controls and add a widget to one screen to easily switch them on and off.

6. lifeonmtv

lifeonmtv Well-Known Member

or switch pro, it also has switches for all of the stuff mentioned above

7. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

To control all, I use switchpro widget, its a paid for app but very stylish.

To control mobile data connection for free then use a free app apn switch.

Hotspots, this turns your mobile data connection into a shared connection so you could use it to get on the internet with say your laptop if you were away.

Hope that clears things up :)

8. biffa

biffa Active Member

Try 'My Settings' from the market, it's free.

Has 12 buttons that include 'Ringer Mode', 'Screem Brightness', 'Screen lock', 'Wi-Fi', 'GPS', 'Bluetooth', 'Auto Sync', 'Auto Rotate', 'Screen Timeout', 'Airplane Mode', Cell Location' and '2G/3G'

These are all just on - off toggles and much easier than going into settings etc.

The top bar shows battery left, and memory used/remaining on the sd card and the internal memory.

'Menu' button takes you to 'torch', 'settings' and 'about'

Great and very easy to set up use. Its free or paid for. The free one has a tiny advert on the top that doesnt bother me at all.