R cannot be resolved to a variable

Last Updated: 2013-02-07 14:38:16
  1. aliblu

aliblu Member

My DroidAvtivity.Java file started with this error..."R cannot be resolved to a variable"...if you could please tell me what happened to my file?

Advertisement
  2. dimiter

dimiter Active Member

Try Project->Clean. Also sure, what variable is declarated (ex. , if it's view id, check existence this id in xml)

If project get start, and error go down the drain, it's eclipse feature.
    alostpacket likes this.
  3. aliblu

aliblu Member

Thank you brah
  4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

yep

Project > clean is like the ultimate first line of defense in all things weird with eclipse. :)
  5. aliblu

aliblu Member

Hmmm so Project > Clean does not seem to be holding up... Any other suggestions?
  6. danBuonocore

danBuonocore New Member

I have tried Project > Clean numerous times and it still has not resolved the issue. Other sites have said to reinstall the .android folder, remove the import R line, change the target of the run/debug for the project, turn automatic rebuild off, delete and recreate all AVDs, etc. but nothing has worked. Any ideas?
  7. israfelwater

israfelwater New Member

I hate this error, I have also had success with right click on project > android tools > fix project properties, but that is not work for me now. ahhhhh. I can't rebuild because my project has errors everywhere where I use R...
  8. israfelwater

israfelwater New Member

oh, nevermind, All I had to do was delete the line in the xml file which was throwing an error, save, and turn on automatic builds. Then the error went away and "/res" built properly under the "gen" dir.

Odd, I commented out the line but the error wouldn't go away. I had to delete it...

here is a helpful link for this error

eclipse - R cannot be resolved - Android error - Stack Overflow
  9. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

If there are errors in ANY of your resources, whether it be xml syntax, illegal file names, etc.., the R.java file will not be generated.