• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

R2D2 bootanimation D1 optimized (No Lag!)

doomedromance

Android Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2009
The Left Coast
I have optimized the R2D2 bootanimation for the original Droid. It will play smoothly and all the way through. File is half the size of original!

Get it here.

Installation Instructions.
Rooted Users:
Use Root Explorer to move the bootanimation.zip
1. Put on SD Card
2. Rename R2D1_bootanimation.zip to bootanimation.zip (Can be done from computer before copied to SD Card instead.)
3. Copy and Paste it into /data/local (will take up memory used for apps)
alt. 3. Copy and past into /system/media (This will replace your original bootanimation so be sure to rename that file to bootanimation.zip.bak before copying the new one.)
4. Turn off your phone.
5. Turn on your phone.

No Root needed:
*must have Android SDK installed. and put the android-sdk folder on your c drive (c:/android-sdk)
*install the motorola usb drivers for your OS (Win 32bit) (Win 64bit)

rename R2D1_bootanimation.zip to bootanimation.zip and create a folder on your c drive named bootanimation (c:/bootanimation)

Process:
- Open command prompt (cmd.exe)
- cd c:/android-sdk (or /wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is)
- adb devices (to verify the connection - will show your device serial number if connected)
- cd c:/bootanimation
- adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local/bootanimation.zip
- adb reboot

Your phone will now reboot and play your new bootanimation!

Video and original file brought to you by Droid Life
YouTube - Official R2-D2 DROID 2 Boot Animation

The system space doesnt show up in phone settings. that 50mb space for apps is located in your /data folder. So what root explorer says is correct you need to put it in /data/local or delete a bunch of ringtones to free up space.

What rom are you using? i cant see how that much space is being used unless you are pushing all your apps to /system/app.

Upvote 0
The system space doesnt show up in phone settings. that 50mb space for apps is located in your /data folder. So what root explorer says is correct you need to put it in /data/local or delete a bunch of ringtones to free up space.

What rom are you using? i cant see how that much space is being used unless you are pushing all your apps to /system/app.

I am using Cyanogen Mod 6

I will start removing some of the cheesy ringtones the phone came up with

Upvote 0
Well, I put the android-sdk in documents and settings so i could get to it, do adb devices, and my droid shows up. then i cd C:\bootanimation, but then when i try and push it it says adb is not a proper function or something of the sorts

It can not be in any folders with spaces in the folder name. Move the folder to the root of the c drive. It's saying its not a proper function because its not in the place you're telling the prompt that it is.

Upvote 0
It can not be in any folders with spaces in the folder name. Move the folder to the root of the c drive. It's saying its not a proper function because its not in the place you're telling the prompt that it is.

C:\bootanimation is the folder on the root of the c drive I'm pretty sure.. it goes to it in the command prompt fine after i do cd c:\bootanimation, its just after i do adb push bootanimation it says adb is not a proper command

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones