R2D2 ringtones and notifications and such.

Last Updated:

1. Shamrock13

Shamrock13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I wanted to install the R2D2 sounds onto my Droid X. How do I go about doing that? I've installed the R2D2 boot animation, and now I want all of the sounds from that ROM onto my phone without the actual ROM. The only things I even care about are the sounds and the boot animation.

How do I go about doing so? Thanks in advanced!

Advertisement
  2. Shamrock13

Oh damn it. I checked my phone and I noticed the boot animation doesn't play a sound at all. How do I get the Droid X to play the R2D2 sound if possible? Also, where do I get those damn notification sounds! D:

3. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Just extract this "media" folder and drop on the root of your sdcard and your golden. All credit to P3Droid of course. Should be sdcard/media/audio/notifications when you are done.

GMB

Attached Files:

4. Shamrock13

Why thank you very much! :D I've got a question regarding the R2D2 boot up though! Is there anyway to get it to play the R2D2 sound it's supposed to play? I've Googled a little bit and haven't really seen any worthy responses.

Have any idea on what to do about it?

5. GrandMasterB

Nope, I have seen a method to edit the build prop to point to the sound file but have not tried it myself. Sorry :(

6. Shamrock13

Where is this method you speak of! :D

7. GrandMasterB

In the comments on droidlife.....

To get the audio file working on my rooted DX on Froyo I edited the build.prop file. Search for persist.mot.powerup.tone=/system/media/bootup.ogg and change it to persist.mot.powerup.tone=/system/media/d2_r2d2_pu.ogg after you place the d2_r2d2_pu.ogg audio file in the /system/media/ folder.

8. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

Tried to download link to my X but I keep getting the download unsuccessful notification. Any thoughts?

9. GrandMasterB

I am really not very familiar with the DroidX because I just got it. I just tried to download from my DX and it worked fine but I do have Astro file manager installed. Other than that maybe its a coverage issue?

GMB

10. yankeeboy

yankeeboy Well-Known Member

What up GMB? I made the shift from the Dinc...good to see you here

GrandMasterB likes this.
  11. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Tried PM'ing you about this GMB, but here it is here. Perhaps, being a mod, now, you are avoiding your PM like the plague. :p !!

Simply put, I already have a media file in my sd directory. It has my mp3's and movies and stuff. Should I rename it? If I do, will the files still be recognized? Or should I rename the r2 media file to media1 or somephin?

Anyone can answer this as GMB has lost his turn to help, being busy with something stupid, like work. :p

12. GrandMasterB

The most important thing is the file structure. Everybody should have a media folder on their sdcard and its great to put your mp3s and stuff in there but if you want a specific sound to be used for notifications then it has to be saved to media/audio/notifications if you want it to display in the notification choice of selections in the devices menu. Same for ringtones and alarms.

I wouldn't rename anything, just merge the folders and/or make sure to place them in the correct folders.

sdcard/media/audio/notifications

sdcard/media/audio/ringtones

sdcard/media/audio/alarms

GMB

13. Steven58

ty! i figured it out though.. sorry to bother you!

14. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

EDIT: Didn't work at first, but then I realized I had to remove the # in front of it. Now it works like a champ.

15. Steven58

Sounds easy enough.

16. Steven58

can I edit this file as a txt file? move or copy it to my pc change it then copy over the old file? (Keep a .bak of the original?)

I'm not a programmer by training, so the best/easiest way of doing this would be appreciated. tia

17. murdoc158

murdoc158 Well-Known Member

Just edit it on the phone if you want. When you save it saves a copy as a .bak so you can revert if you want. The # removal trick does in fact work. I've had the R2 D2 bootup sound since it was leaked and ported over. Sucks it plays AFTER the animation...:rolleyes:

18. Steven58

Final question. What program do you use to edit the file with? tia.

19. Shamrock13

I noticed you can use Astro file manager. It seems to be a good way of doing it in my opinion!

How do you get the build.prop to save the changes?

20. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

I have a folder on my SD card for "tinkering" with stuff. I used root manager to copy my build.prop from the system folder to the folder on my SD card. I then connected the X to my PC and used a text editor (notepad) to edit this copy of build prop. I disconnected the phone from the computer and used root manager again to copy the edited file to the system folder, overwriting the existing file. Reboot the phone and it should work.

21. Steven58

I changed my mind on doing this. I don't even know if I'm even going to want to stay with the r2 animated boot. On top of that, it doesn't sound until after the animation, so there is no point in this to me. At least I know how to do it, though. Thanks!

FWIW, I like this boot animation and am trying to figure out if it's downloadable: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/193705-boot-animation.html

Does this make me a boot animation whore? ;)