R2D2 root??

Last Updated:

1. osufans

osufans New Member This Topic's Starter

So, I've tried following the directions for the "nearly" one-step root, and the process completes, but I get no response when I run the Super app, just a blank screen. Is that normal?

Also, from what I've been able to find, it appears there are no released SBF's for the R2D2, so if I brick my phone, I'm SOL. I don't want to end up with a non-warranted paper-weight, so for now I unrooted it....however...did I do something wrong, and if so can someone fill me in?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. crg31953

crg31953 Active Member

Super User .apk will show a blank screen unless you have apps that have requested superuser permission and you have granted it. I'm guessing that this is the case since you just rooted. I suggest getting Rom Manager, granting it superuser permission and doing a rom backup. It may not help if you totaly brick your phone, but it can help get you out of a lot. At least that way you can always unroot to get back to stock.

3. osufans

Where is Rom Manager available from? There was another one I saw recommended but don't remember its name at the moment.

Thanks

4. crg31953

crg31953 Active Member

Rom Manager is available from the Market. Other apps that do this may be available, but I've been using this app since I first rooted my D1, it's reliable and koush updates regularly. Someone that can be counted on.

5. osufans

OK, so that did work. I have it rooted, used ROM Manager to do a backup....so now, I need to find out what I can do now that it is rooted.

I'll be digging around, but what are the top things everyone does to their rooted phones? I'm mostly interested in streamlining the phone, killing apps that don't need to be running all the time, and trying to extend battery life.

Thanks!

6. crg31953

crg31953 Active Member

2 apps also available on the market and I do believe they still have free versions are root explorer and titanium backup. IMO these 2 apps are must haves for tweaking your phone. Root Explorer allows you to move, rename and delete files like .apks. It requires superuser permision and you can now grant that. Renaming certain .apks like cityID.apk to cityID.bak make the app invisable to the system, it wont try and load it. Please make sure you check around and make sure you know which apps you can rename or move, if you do it to the wrong one it may affect other functions of your phone you don't want to.
    Titanium Backup allows you to back up your user apps and system data for safety purposes and you can reinstall them if you need to. You can also freeze apps and that basicly stops them from also running. Both apps can do alot more so investigate and check out the rest of the options you now have like overclocking and so on. Just remember to backup, it can save your phone, also learn what you can about .sbfing a stock rom if you should ever need to.

Good Luck