• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [R910]EG06+EF23 stock tar with 2.2.2 - details inside

tiede

Android Expert
Mar 3, 2011
Orlando, Fl
I've been looking it up the past few days, and was wondering if the info about how to create a proper odin tar for the Epic4G can be taken verbatim or if some of the mount points differ.
I understand the process, and can follow along ;)
I just wonder if we already have .tars on here, someone should obviously be able to help me figure this out, right?

It's either that or I start stalking k0nane! :D lol
But yeah, if you know how to, drop me a bone!
A tar has been given out to me, which makes this whole process irrelevant.

EG06+EF23

With approval from k0nane, this file may be added to the ODIN thread.
However, modifications will be made to the file before hand.

And for my linux friends... Your heimdall package has been cooked. Please proceed to the kitchen for service!
Heimdall EG06+EF23

For installation instructions, please see Shabby's not too shabby guide in the original ODIN thread, here: http://androidforums.com/indulge-al...-return-stock-now-r915-files.html#post2681950
Just use the EG06 tar file instead of the ones from the 3rd post and you should be all set!

PS: If my links are down at any one particular time, please use k0nane's or Shabbypenguin's site as a mirror to download the files.
And please don't forget to properly thank them for helping out!
get k0's mirrored files (7z format) here:
I've never tested the TAR in the OP, so I can't verify anything, but here's a copy from my archives. Enjoy.

Download
Download (mirror)

Hmmm... Lots of views, but not a peep. Maybe it's too technical?
so, I was gonna use cipher's mount points earlier to backup the images, but I have just one more question, assuming those mount points are the right ones: how do I make a proper eg06 stock tar?
Since all the instructions require the phone to be previously rooted.
I'm asking because my indulge is now on 2.2.2, while the Odin images are on 2.2.1 (the image does not touch the modems, so in the newer indulges, odin will make your kernel older than the modems)
They pointed that out when I went for an exchange last time due to hardware failure last week. The exchange still went through, but I don't want that to start being an issue for other potential warranty exchanges.
Seeing a I'm running the latest stock image from samsung, I'd figured I'd provide that as well, so the odin thread does not go outdated.
^ More boring background info...

Upvote 0
Just in case I'm not the only one following this (kinda sad otherwise, ain't it?) It would seem there is a slight change between the two partition mappings:
The newer indulges have and added entry after /dev/block/stl12. We now also have
Code:
/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Upvote 0
Hello all!
A quick update.
[Hide]I'm getting impatient with this stock 2.2.2 indulge of mine. In two days, I will attempt to temp-root it using the old bloatware removal script from (banned) forum user MikesToolz, in order to extract some tars through dd via adb shell. Hopefully the device remain "virgn" enough after the process for the tar to qualify as a stock tar.

If anyone, and I do mean ANYONE has any advice or quick tips for me with a better way of doing this, please let me know before then! :)[/spoiler]
Of course, I will publish the resulting tar here if the whole process is successful.
Android 2.2.2 is quite better than 2.2.1 as far as I've noticed, so I may even suggest updating to it should everything go A-OK. For example, device is snappier to respond, gets less hot, and the battery lasts longer even on 4G (of course, that could also be due to the new modem firmwares which I may include in the pack as well, if k0nane gives me his okay).

[Hide]Of course, even though I am thinking of doing the whole thing in two days, do not expect the tar right then and there. After all, beta testing is important! ;)

So... No ETAs!!!
Wish me luck.[/spoiler]

PS: This thread is remaining purposefully vague because I want to make sure only people that are familiar with odin play with this. At least for the time being...
I'm not particularly fond of bricks and don't wish them on anyone. safety is a good thing, right?

Upvote 0
dumps created. will upload soon.

Upload will happen after a quick talk with k0nane.
(I could not identify the kernel and recovery partitions)

I have, however, made a copy of all the bml and stl blocks in /dev/block, just in case some modem/radio info might need extraction from there. The files are humonguous, however (some are 500MB!)
so, I'll need k0's guidance for which files I need to deliver, and which ones I can just delete.

Upvote 0
The EG06 file I received is indeed good to go. I tested it myself and it works fine.
The only concern is that it does not include cache.rfs, dbdata.rfs, efs.rfs, or param.lfs
It does however contain both modem.bin and lte-modem.bin, along with a kernel (zImage), factoryfs.rfs and recovery.bin
Due to the missing cache.rfs and dbdata.rfs files, I STRONGLYrecommend booting into either recovery before the flash or (stock) recovery after the flash and performing a factory reset.
Strange behavior may be noticed otherwise.
EDIT:I've added my own cache, dbdata and efs files to the tar.
It is my understanding that this will indeed return your phone to the latest version of "stock" with fw version 2.2.2
So if you are interested in having the latest stock software, you are free to download that file as well, and try it out.
I will try to ask if a copy of it may be linked in the ODIN thread for good measure.
The provided file is a tar.md5 file, to ensure the file was not corrupted during download, by having Odin check the md5 hash each time the file is run. It's almost 1/2 GB!

PS: The download link will most likely expire after 14 days. If you can host the file/provide a mirror, it'd be appreciated!

Upvote 0
IMPORTANT: I have tested this file on my own device, and it seems to work just fine.
However
, until a few other testers report that this file works for them as well, I cannot guarantee it's safety, or recommend downloading it.
If you have used this file and it works fine for you, please report it here so I can feel better about recommending it to other users.
do be careful and keep a backup for good measure before trying it.
I've by now received various reports that it works perfectly for those who've tried it.
And only heard of one negative flash, which was fixed by reflashing the file.
Still, do remember that I CANNOT be held responsible for anythings that happens to your device. If it catches fire, grows a third leg, calls aliens to conduct experiments on you at your house while your asleep, that's all YOU, my friend!
Please see first post for link.

Upvote 0
Grabbing the TAR now, for archival and possibly testing purposes.

From my understanding, you would leave it as stock as flashing basix and Electric Sheep on top of it would bring it back to 2.2.1, as said ROMs are based on 2.2.1.

It would be nice though to see a basix/electric sheep released that is based on 2.2.2, though. I'd gladly test it...

Upvote 0
Yeah. Flashing Basix+E-Sheep on top of this will bring you back to 2.2.1
E-sheep could have been fine on its own, in theory, but I do believe it requires Basix to function correctly. (Or am I getting this backwards?)
The difference between 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 is faster speed, a slight increase in battery life, and an improved shut down procedure. The phone actually tells you to "please wait" after the boot down animation is over, instead of the black screen with lit keyboard we have on 2.2.1
Also, of course, if your radios were not already up to date, this will bring them up to EG06 (CDMA) and EF23 (LTE) as well.
There is however an easier way to do this, if you really wish to, by flashing only those 2 files instead of the entire tar.md5 I've provided. (k0nane has a modems.rar file with only those 2 files in it which he provided me in a previous thread).
However, as I've noted before, I'm not sure what change the modem upgrade brings, as the behavior/performance seems to be the same as with the old one.

Upvote 0
There is however an easier way to do this, if you really wish to, by flashing only those 2 files instead of the entire tar.md5 I've provided. (k0nane has a modems.rar file with only those 2 files in it which he provided me in a previous thread).

Any reason why you named it an md5 file? I know about md5 and all, just never seen a binary/archive named as one.

edit: just for sh its and giggles, the hash for the file is 4db868eb5546364c9ef3cf2ede764179

Upvote 0
I named it tar.md5 just for the sheer size of the download, so Odin will realize it's corrupted if it's downloaded on a too flaky connection.

What would renaming it have to do with anything? I don't follow.

So it's basically a renamed tar? With 7-zip opening it gives me a "there is no correct record at the end of the archive" error. It still opens, regardless.

Would you be able to hand me a hash of the entire file, or at least verify the one that I posted?

Upvote 0
It's just a tar tailed with it's own Hash.
I named it that way because once Odin sees a tar.md5 file, it automatically checks it for integrity.
Basically, if a tar.md5 file flashes in Odin, then it wasn't corrupted during download.
In other words, you don't even need to check it yourself by comparing sizes (we know how accurate comparing files by size can get... 0_o)
To see what I'm talking about, fire up Odin, and fake flash the file by just loading it in the pda section. No need to connect your phone to the computer.
Once you hit start, Odin will verify the file and finish (it won't attempt to flash because your phone is not even connected at this point. ;) )

Reactions: Reaper man
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones