• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [R910]EG06+EF23 stock tar with 2.2.2 - details inside

Yes and No. From what I have determined the updated radios were designed to maximize battery life. It does this by switching the phone to 1x if you aren't actively using a 3G/4G connection. I personally don't like waiting for it to switch over so I would prefer to use the older radios. Since I have a extended battery that lasts on average 20 hours, I don't mind charging more often.

Having said that, the battery life is improved with 2.2.2, but not by a huge amount. I had used 4 % in about 2.5 hours. This is after deep charging the battery and re-setting the battery states with clockwork. So it's about 6% better than I was getting before.

Upvote 0
Yes and No. From what I have determined the updated radios were designed to maximize battery life. It does this by switching the phone to 1x if you aren't actively using a 3G/4G connection.
Interesting theory. But I haven't seen this on my phone. Maybe i just haven't paid close attention enough? I'll keep an eye out for that.

Having said that, the battery life is improved with 2.2.2, but not by a huge amount. I had used 4 % in about 2.5 hours. This is after deep charging the battery and re-setting the battery states with clockwork. So it's about 6% better than I was getting before.
Thanks for putting a percentage on the improvement!
However, I think it probably ends up being even better than that, because my phone lasted the WHOLE day with 2.2.2 with the stock battery.
With just Basix, that used to be 7 to 8 hours, and that was a good thing (4 to 5 on stock 2.2.1)...

Anecdotally, Basix seems to still last longer now (almost a whole day), so you might be onto something about the radios...
Unfortunately, I don't have the old radio files... I never had them, so even my backups are the newer modems.
If someone has the old version of the modems, (pre EG06 and EF23, please PM me, and i'll walk you through the process of extracting them for sharing... Being rooted would help, but is not necessary.)

Upvote 0
Interesting theory. But I haven't seen this on my phone. Maybe i just haven't paid close attention enough? I'll keep an eye out for that.

Thanks for putting a percentage on the improvement!
However, I think it probably ends up being even better than that, because my phone lasted the WHOLE day with 2.2.2 with the stock battery.
With just Basix, that used to be 7 to 8 hours, and that was a good thing (4 to 5 on stock 2.2.1)...

Anecdotally, Basix seems to still last longer now (almost a whole day), so you might be onto something about the radios...
Unfortunately, I don't have the old radio files... I never had them, so even my backups are the newer modems.
If someone has the old version of the modems, (pre EG06 and EF23, please PM me, and i'll walk you through the process of extracting them for sharing... Being rooted would help, but is not necessary.)

i have 2 indulges and might be able to help you. i will have to check it out for ya. aside from that, when you say it would last a whole day are you talking about without 4g off or with you switching back and forth? did you use WIFI or just straight 1x?

Upvote 0
One "glitch" I noticed, I lost the Zoom ability with my camera with 2.2.2. And I ended up re-flashing back to 2.2.2 after I noticed the radio firmware was the newer version (EG06) Something about me is that I like to keep the build version and radio versions the same. Just a quirk. If anyone knows of a fix for the zoom that went MIA I would sure appreciate it. Oh, and I was totally wrong on the battery life. I was at about 30% left when I went to bed after flashing 2.2.2 back on the phone and re-calibrating my battery. That is an entire day with talking, 4G and Wifi surfing and streaming music. Again, I use a 3600 mAh battery, but I imagine with a stock battery I could squeeze about a day out of it now.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones