• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [R910]EG06+EF23 stock tar with 2.2.2 - details inside

cdma : R910.0.4m.EE07
lte : sch-r910.ed15

was an OTA update about 3-5 1/2 months ago, some people didnt get it when it rolled out, and probably still dont have it, i remember alot of people trying to force the update many ways. there's a topic here somehwere about it. it's whats on my phone now

I get 4g/3g spotlessly, and my battery life is on avarage at least 13-16 hours with good usage. Stock battery.

really thinking if i should try out this new tar and loose the kern

Upvote 0

was an OTA update about 3-5 1/2 months ago, some people didnt get it when it rolled out, and probably still dont have it, i remember alot of people trying to force the update many ways. there's a topic here somehwere about it. it's whats on my phone now

I get 4g/3g spotlessly, and my battery life is on avarage at least 13-16 hours with good usage. Stock battery.

really thinking if i should try out this new tar and loose the kern

those are old i think i had them before

Upvote 0
Installed & rooted\cwm. Deleted much bloat\touchwiz. Great experiance so far.

edit update : phone 10hr 40min unplugged and i'm down to about 85% battery life. Not trying to rain on k0nane or anyone(aka android/google for making 2.2.1 much shittier than 2.2.2) but i consider this better than before, though before was good(once basix and kernelized up), this is much better. also seems many lots of fixes rolled out into 2.2.2 that were previously afflicting our stock devices.

things i've done so far: delete all metro apps, email (keep gmail) removed some unnessicary talkback/kickback accessibility features, a few malicious sys files i thought looked suspicious got removed i.e keytracer, perso, deleted datacreate naunce, voice recorder. After you delete somthing like nuance my phone kept fc saying nuance has stopped [force close] you'd click and it'd just freeze right away, after a reboot all is fine, and is really un-needed after all, unless i suppose you are a fan of handsfree options which is fine. removed defualt launcher and using go launcher.

great find.

Upvote 0
Ok Tiede, so I've read through this thread and I've been contemplating whether or not I should do this. Right now I have Basix and E-sheep and my phone is working great, which makes me weary of messing with it. I haven't used "Odin" at all. I haven't needed to yet so therefore I have ZERO experience with it. I'm used to the zips I extract through my phone after backing up my shit and running them.

Would you recommend I do this to my phone? I don't have the knowledge about the modems and yada yada yada so I'm lost when it comes to that stuff. Maybe that's why everything in this post looks like gibberish to me.

But if I were to investigate "odin" and actually mess with it to learn it, could you give me some straight forward directions on what exactly I need to do for 2.2.2?

Like the "Heimdall" package? I don't know what that is. Sorry for the ignorance but I usually learn by actually DOING things to my phone and all this stuff is something i HAVEN'T done yet so please ignore my ignorance. :D

Upvote 0
Ok Tiede, so I've read through this thread and I've been contemplating whether or not I should do this. Right now I have Basix and E-sheep and my phone is working great, which makes me weary of messing with it. I haven't used "Odin" at all. I haven't needed to yet so therefore I have ZERO experience with it. I'm used to the zips I extract through my phone after backing up my shit and running them.

Would you recommend I do this to my phone? I don't have the knowledge about the modems and yada yada yada so I'm lost when it comes to that stuff. Maybe that's why everything in this post looks like gibberish to me.

But if I were to investigate "odin" and actually mess with it to learn it, could you give me some straight forward directions on what exactly I need to do for 2.2.2?

Like the "Heimdall" package? I don't know what that is. Sorry for the ignorance but I usually learn by actually DOING things to my phone and all this stuff is something i HAVEN'T done yet so please ignore my ignorance. :D

heimdall is basically odin for linux, you not need to worry about it unless you use linux on your pc. As for using odin it's fairly straight forward, you download odin from the odin thread, download the 2.2.2 tar from here. Extract the odin zip/rar and run odin. click pda and choose the tar you just downloaded, uncheck f.reset time and leave auto reboot checked. click start and wait for it to say done, when it's done the phone will reboot and run some processes then continue to boot and it's safe to unplug. you would probably want to back up what ever apps/contact list you have to your sdcard and transfer them to your pc before using odin

As for actually switching to this from basix/kernel is up to you, i liked using both but will probably continue using this unless basix/kern pops up for 2.2.2+

you can always go back to using basix/e-sheep with out having to flash it with odin again i believe

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
What the real trade-offs in using this vs Basix/Electric Sheep? What do I lose if I switch over to this from Basix/Electric Sheep??

Theres quite a few features you would loose i think. I'm not sure on all the exact details, infact i dont even know any off the top of my head all i can say is go look at the features of basix in the basix thread, then the features of e-sheep in it's thread, that's pretty much what you loose. I personally miss the voodoo sound enhancement :( . What this does Is put your phone back to stock with a little bit of a upgraded version of the android firmware (over our 2.2.1 that it was originally shipped with)

Upvote 0
Just did this the battery rocks my standard battery is lasting as long as my extended batteries did before the upgrade. Also used DRockstars CWM script as well. That worked well and rooted well however the Metro Trash was still there. Downloaded Root Explorer and removed it all manually and after a few reboots its all looking decent again. Gonna miss my custom graphics but its nothing I cant get back when I have some more tweaking time.

Upvote 0
Is basix and electricsheep better than this?

Basix (as of now) is based on an older kernel and is easily customizable however with the radios for this version should be great on battery life.

Exodus is unsupported now (except by users here) and is not near as customizable.

This puts you back to stock but with new radio firmware (which leads to much better battery life) and all your Metro trash back. Takes some time but it can be made to be pretty decent.

Would love to see Basix and Electric sheep updated to be compatible with this version.

Upvote 0
2.2.2 still has flaws here and there, after a few days of using it, if i'd go back now I'd probably go with the new radios and keep basix/e-sheep, that kernel/rom is legit and i've never experianced FC's the months that i used it, that's not to say it wouldn't happen, it was just always smooth sailing for me, even with the cpu clocked at 1.3, little hiccups here and there but never a full blown crash. Using 2.2.2 with root/cwm alone i've experienced over 7 fc's in the week i've been running it, could be attributed to apps/files installed/removed - but that surely wouldn't account for all of them :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
So - in theory at this point in time (at least until GB on the 910 is available by hook or crook) for greatest stability and max battery life would be with Basix/Electric Sheep+E06 Radios.

If so - would the best procedure for someone using Basix/Electric Sheep be to do this:

Backup apps and data
ODIN to the 2.2.2 tar
Install Basix
Install Electric Sheep

Would this be the cleanest install? Would it be worth it? Or can I just use ODIN to install the e06modem.tar file and retain Basix/Electric Sheep and reap the same benefits?

Thanks for any assistance and sorry if it seems I'm repeating others at this but point but I want to be real clear on what I am doing.

Upvote 0
Hey, traajik, thanks for the feedback!
In case you did not know, you can reinstall Basix on top of the stock 2.2.2 firmware just fine.
Your radios will remain updated.
As for the FCs, I have no idea how to help with that! I didn't encounter any when I was testing it... :(

np man, i might throw basix over it in a few days, still messing around with it as is for now. I know some of the fc's are my fault deleting some sys files, i spent a couple hours a while back just looking up all of the different android system specific files and their individual purposes that they have loaded onto that filesystem of theirs, a few fc's were attributed to deleting dependencies of running "system" processes. Dolphin browser was renderd unusable after 2 or 3 sessions and would fc every time i opened it. ( i never use dolphin browser normally). Another thing, not to derail this thread but whats the deal with the partitions on these phones, or android devices in general, do we not know the partition tables? would it not just be ext2=boot ext3/4=home and root? and like a syslinux bootloader or grub? Or is it the sheer hassle of trying to explain partitions to someone who doesn't know what their talking about lol

Upvote 0
So - in theory at this point in time (at least until GB on the 910 is available by hook or crook) for greatest stability and max battery life would be with Basix/Electric Sheep+E06 Radios.

If so - would the best procedure for someone using Basix/Electric Sheep be to do this:

Backup apps and data
ODIN to the 2.2.2 tar
Install Basix
Install Electric Sheep

Would this be the cleanest install? Would it be worth it? Or can I just use ODIN to install the e06modem.tar file and retain Basix/Electric Sheep and reap the same benefits?

Thanks for any assistance and sorry if it seems I'm repeating others at this but point but I want to be real clear on what I am doing.

if you have basix and kernel already just odin the modem if you dont want to try out 2.2.2.

I dont think using odin for the modem alone this time would wipe your data/apps but you probably should do a backup anyway, I usually just import contact list to sd card and throw it on my pc, i dont care about the apps, i just redownload.

Reactions: fdbryant3
Upvote 0
I flashed the file in the first post and now the phone is saying there is no SIM card installed. The good news is that this appears to have fixed my 4G radio.

img002lg.jpg

Upvote 0
How would you know that if it was bitching about the SIM?

It no longer has the "LTE Unknown" message under about phone. I still don't know what is up with the UICC card, I cannot tell if it is dead or if the phone is messed up. In any case this is going on Craigslist since I replaced it with the Esteem a couple months back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones