radio and batt. question

Last Updated:

1. viperlocc

viperlocc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just flashed the newest nightly and just have a couple questions.

1)Installed battery tweak and ran threw my own custom setting which on batt, min is just above stock setting and max is 691. a tad different when usb and ac. 15min run time it went from 55% to 51%. Is this normal?

2)My signal strength, i have seen a max of -75 and thats it. 2 bars max. any way to boost this up?

Download speed is: 265.2 kbit/s
    max speed is: 355.6 kbit/s

Upload speed is: 150.5 kbit/s
    max speed is: 182.6 kbit/s

smack dab center of a decent sized city with a lot of towers around.

Advertisement
  2. ck4794

ck4794 Well-Known Member

i know there are "over the counter" antenna boosters you can buy, basically put them behind the battery or something similar. as far as the battery tweak it sounds like you overclocked it. if this is what you're referring to, then yes if the minimum setting is ABOVE stock that means the cpu is working harder/faster than it normally would, ALL THE TIME. to SAVE battery it needs to be underclocked. for instance overclock widget, which i use. it has a setting so that when the screen is off it way underclocks the cpu, so it is not working as hard or as fast. it is still running and performing all the same functions, just a little slower. but obviously if the screen is off i'm not using the phone anyways so who cares?

3. viperlocc

viperlocc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thats what i had, overclock widget, but i flashed the battery tweak and the performance just went through the roof after flashing it. ill lower the min. down to under "stock" and see what it does.

as for the signal strength, ive been reading about people flashing, or installing something and changing the radio or something. but im not understanding what they are doing.

4. ck4794

ck4794 Well-Known Member

i'm not 100% sure about the radio either, but i think it's referring to the rom itself. and ya, that's what overclocking does. the "clock" is a pulse that is sent to everything electrical in the device. your computer has one. it comes from an oscillator. consider it kind of like a steady drum beat. it keeps everything in time, and every "pulse" of the clock initiates the next step. almost like "left, right, left" with a group of marching soldiers. everyone works together, in time, to achieve uniform performance. the device is rarely set at the limit of its physical capabilities. to "overclock" it is to basically increase the tempo at which the clock pulses (left, right, left) are being sent out. there is a point where it becomes to fast and the device becomes unstable. i think i read earlier today that the fastest stable speed for the htc hero is 710MHz, but don't quote me on that. so yes, overclocking increases the performance, because you made the internal parts of the device process information faster. but again, since it's doing more activity, it's going to go through the battery faster. the only physical danger to this is sometimes it will cause a lot of heat from the battery during extended heavy usage. in electronics of this nature it doesn't take much to adversely affect performance. simply monitor it and if it gets too hot let it cool down.

but overall, and to come back from my bunny trail, unless it's over or under clocked differently at different times (and you should easily be able to tell, if it doesn't state or there is no selectable option, it probably doesn't) then it's going to run at what you set it at all the time. so even when the screen is off and it's not processing much information, it's still processing what little information it has at that faster rate. basically it's like doing sprints. even if you only sprint from your house to your car, do it enough times and you'll get worn out too.

i hope i've helped, and if at any time i insulted your intelligence and explained something you already know, my apologies.

5. tony868

tony868 Member

You can flash different radio versions and sometimes get better (or worse) results. Make sure you only flash a radio for the CDMA Hero and not the GSM Hero because you will brick your phone! You can find approved radios with instructions on how to flash at Radios
    I recently flashed an older radio and have noticed some improvements.