Radio Interface Resource ShortageSupport

1. blh2012

blh2012 Well-Known Member

So, I just switched from the triumph to the Evo V 4g today. I'm totally in love with this phone, but shortly after I got it I began having voice calling and texting problems - I kept getting the Radio Interface Shortage SMS Error that, after searching the forum, seems to be kind of common.

I called Virgin and they had me fix it by doing a profile update in the system update settings. I did that and it started working fine. Just a couple hours later, it started doing it again. I did the profile update again and it worked again.

My question is, are there any other fixes to this, if it starts acting up again? It's going to be really annoying if I have to do a profile update several times a day just to be able to call someone or send a text - Not to mention the texts and calls I'll miss because I wouldn't even know it's not working until I try to send a text or make a call.

Does the "Update PRL" in the system update settings have anything to do with this? Should I do this too or just continue to do the Update Profile? Hopefully it won't mess up again, if it continues to give me errors intermittently, it's gonna annoy the sh!t outta me. Any suggestions or fixes from personal experience?

Advertisement
  2. Admack

Admack Well-Known Member

HTC told me they're working on a fix, but who knows when the update will be released. I have a few weeks to return my phone. If it's not fixed by then I'm going to return it, sadly.
    blh2012 likes this.
  3. armeN0317

armeN0317 Well-Known Member

blh2012 likes this.
  4. thebryceee

thebryceee Well-Known Member

I find that this only happens to me when I send multiple texts, one after another really fast. Other than that, it doesn't happen at all.
    blh2012 likes this.
  5. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Well-Known Member

I actually got that message today, out of the blue. It then repeatedly attempted to send the text message and threw the error multiple times. I was at home, had wifi on, flipped it off, 3G came on, and then the text message went and the error disappeared.
    blh2012 likes this.
  6. blh2012

blh2012 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. Let me know if you hear any updates on the situation or on the "fix" HTC is supposedly working on.
  7. G19

G19 Well-Known Member

Only does it to me in very low service areas.
  8. greysonbotts

greysonbotts Well-Known Member

Just wondering if people running roms are experiencing this issue
    Would it have to be a different kernel or would the update just change the radio or something similar?
    Anyone here working on a fix or would it be counter productive since changes to the network may be needed?
    Curious that's all
  9. jr2673

jr2673 Well-Known Member

on my end here im not having any problems ... do you all have full bars are you trying it with another cell when looking at the phone to see if it has bars?
  10. AngryTeddyBear

AngryTeddyBear Well-Known Member

Same here.
    It also happens to me when I'm texting a couple of people and I happen to try to send a message while another is coming in.
  11. raysurrx7

raysurrx7 Well-Known Member

It also helps to keep your wifi turned off.
  12. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Well-Known Member

With regard to the bandwidth hungry users, I would think that it would be in Virgin Mobile's best interest to get this resolved right quick.
  13. The MANdroid

The MANdroid Active Member

DITTO!! Im not buying this phone UNTIL this is resolved...sadly.:(
  14. metal571

metal571 Well-Known Member

that error is linked to the stock messaging app. using GO SMS gets rid of the problem for me. that's not to say it could take a while to send messages. i only get this at home where my signal barely gets to 1 bar, and only on stock messaging. add "use a 3rd party messaging app" to the fixes for the radio shortage error.

i seem to get this error if i'm below -103 or -104 dBm. there's a detailed signal app in the market called Signal Notification. it has a monkey as the icon in the play store. try that. i guarantee you'll get the error if your dBm reads -120. otherwise the texts should send as normal. this app could help prove the problem and/or debug it. i hope some people try this out.
  15. crusader01

crusader01 Well-Known Member

metal571 is absolutely right. That message is definitely linked to some kind of software problem. Also if you download any signal app it clearly shows that when you have signal fluctuation your actual signal does NOT fluctuate only the indicator. at least that's how it is on my evo..
  16. metal571

It would be interesting to see if anyone has gotten the Radio Interface error with a signal that isn't -120 dBm, because that's the only time I've ever had it happen to me. You'll also discover that the bars appear to fluctuate because they are very sensitive to the actual dBm reading. I find that around -90 or above will give you all the bars, where -105 or below will give you no bars. It seems that whoever designed the phone made the signal bar indicator too sensitive to the actual dBm reading, which is why everyone keeps reporting huge signal bar fluctuation when in reality the signal itself isn't fluctuating anywhere near as much as the bars indicate.

Sorry for the long rant, but that's how it appears to me. If you're on the edge of a bad signal at home like I am or in a bad signal area, getting the Radio Interface bug will almost definitely occur regardless of phone. That's what I've seen so far. You can get rid of that annoying message with a custom SMS app. For now, the radio still overall doesn't seem to be the best, so the only real fix is a new radio that HTC may or may not be working on.
  17. crusader01

crusader01 Well-Known Member

Radio Interface error usually happens to me between -115 dBm and -120 dBm. Bars are very sensitive but there is also another issue. Sometimes when I only have 1-2 bars it randomly jumps to max bars then back to normal. When the signal app is open I can see that the actual signal only changed by a couple dBm so it's definitely some kind of software/radio firmware issue.
  18. metal571

I think I've found a fix. Do the following (I also just made a thread about this fix to help people see it and verify if it works for anyone else as well)

1. Start the Phone app.
    2. Enter "##25327#" (this is ##CLEAR#)
    3. The EPST menu should come up. Tap on Menu, then tap Reset.
    4. Your phone will reboot, reactivate itself, and update its PRL. Then your SMS bug should be gone.
  19. jonnyboy2

jonnyboy2 Active Member

I don't know what to do about this now. It wasn't so bad before, until I tried the ##CLEAR# thing, and it just went downhill from there. I've tried restoring, I've tried flashing different roms, wiping, flashing all of Leslie Ann's pri/prl's etc. again, nothing works.

Now the message pops up like every time I wake my phone. Don't know what to do.
  20. G19

G19 Well-Known Member

Did you flash the newest radio she put in that thread? My phone is completely cured. I went from multiple daily resets to being completely fixed. my phone has been amazing since I flashed the pri and
  21. jonnyboy2

jonnyboy2 Active Member

Yeah, I've flashed everything there. :/
    I'm running Harmonia right now.
  22. Nesdroid

Nesdroid Well-Known Member

Have you tried updating profile?
    System settings/ system updates / update profile

I had that problem briefly until I did that.
  23. magohn

magohn Well-Known Member

My phone is a week old and I havent received this message once! - Weird! Perhpas its location (tower) based?
  24. narutoninjakid

narutoninjakid Well-Known Member

have you tried formatting everything except sd card then install new rom?
    could flash stock ruu s well ?
    contact a developer in the forum they might know what to do. :eek:
  25. datahead

datahead Well-Known Member

I get that message from time to time. But I realized that I only get it when I try to send a text and my phone is not in service range.

And it will stop poping up when I move my phone to a spot where it gets better signal to be able to send the message