• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Radio Interface Resource Shortage

I know it was a smaller problem, as far as affecting phone usability, based on everything I read about it; in news articles and forums. I do not know how many phones it affected.

I also would not hold up cricket as a standard for quality. This was one instance which I happened to know about, and believe this should have been the course virgin mobile took regarding the evo v 4G. I have owned both the Huawei mercury and the EVO v 4G, and it is my opinion that the way they have handled this fiasco lacks integrity on their part as a legitimate business.

I'm stating my opinion based on my personal experience. I was able to return both defective units I purchased for a refund. I had them both for only a couple days or so each. About a week total. They worked properly for approximately 30% of that time. If that. I was, however, out the $50 I spent on a service card for a month of service I was not able to use. Since at that time they had no other decent phones to choose from.

While the issues were significant they still affected a relatively small minority of phones purchased and have been dealt with by the recent ota. You also stated that at that time there were no other decent phones to choose from, the only other phone that compares is the SGS2 whose only real advantages are a better (but not 3D) camera and larger internal storage. Sale prices are $330 for the Samsung vs $150 for the HTC, I just can't think of a scenario that justifies the $170 price difference.

Upvote 0
While the issues were significant they still affected a relatively small minority of phones purchased and have been dealt with by the recent ota. You also stated that at that time there were no other decent phones to choose from, the only other phone that compares is the SGS2 whose only real advantages are a better (but not 3D) camera and larger internal storage. Sale prices are $330 for the Samsung vs $150 for the HTC, I just can't think of a scenario that justifies the $170 price difference.

I love the resolution on the EVO compared to the sgs2

Upvote 0

I wouldn't dream of getting the s2. But honestly the evo is not all that. It'd got good specs, but for HTC its a let down. Is rather have the evo design from boost. The EVO v is bulky, heavy, cheap feeling, too many buttons, just not a quality feeling device. If this happened to me today I'd trade it in for the warp sequent. Yeah HTC is a better brand than ZTE, but the EVO v didn't give me that quality feel other HTC phones have. And obviously performance is questionable.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why it feels cheap to you, instead of many phones today being put on all plastic diets the Evo is an aluminum unibody design that's built like a tank. In no way does the Design on Boost measure up, higher price, smaller screen, single core, same design as far as the unibody, single 5 Mp camera, weighs just about the same and not much in the way of a dev community.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why it feels cheap to you, instead of many phones today being put on all plastic diets the Evo is an aluminum unibody design that's built like a tank. In no way does the Design on Boost measure up, higher price, smaller screen, single core, same design as far as the unibody, single 5 Mp camera, weighs just about the same and not much in the way of a dev community.

Aluminum unibody? The back cover is thin plastic. Yeah its textured with lines, but its not metal. The Design actually is mostly metal. Half the back, and the sides. And thr plastic that is on the back is a rubberized soft texture that just feels more premium. I didnt say the specs were better, just that it felt like a higher quality build.

Upvote 0
The Evo 4g is aluminum framed, the Evo 3d is plastic.

While I prefer aluminum because I like it as a material, plastic is lighter, doesn't block signals, and is more durable, just take a look at the corners around the glass on a used Evo 4g, or a dropped Iphone. Aluminum doesn't give, it bends and cracks. Plastic dents, flexes, absorbs shock and goes back into shape.

I agree, it feels cheap in some ways compared to some other phones, the buttons in particular. On the other hand, it feels better in the hand, ergonomics compared to the Evo 4g it replaced are better.

I don't know what you expect from a phone, the heft is a result of the features, same for the thickness. It still does things no other phone can do. I agree, it could be better and that was it's failing on Sprint and HTC's part, but I wouldn't say it's terrible either, especially at the current $150. When designed, they were trying to find the next big thing, and overshot the mark, but that was the whole idea behind the original Evo line, to push things. On the Evo LTE, it was slated for 3d (prototypes were even made with it), but Sprint adamantly told HTC to forgo it and include the previous generations kickstand feature instead or they would refuse to buy it. They felt the 3d function was gimmicky and raised the price too much, which is exactly why the Evo 3d has some cheap features. They needed to keep the price from reaching astronomical levels.

The Evo Design was actually a cheapened, previous generation, Evo 4g. It's also another reason the Evo 3d sales weren't as good as they should have been, too many preferred the Evo 4g styling, and saw no need for 3d. It didn't help that well into the Evo 3d's reign, the Evo 4g, being made in MASSIVE numbers, was still available in stores for less. However, the biggest reason the Evo 3d didn't sell better was that the Iphone came to Sprint just it hit middle age. Despite all of this, the Evo 3d still sold in record numbers and is one of the best supported phones by developers that there is.

Given the choice, I would prefer an Evo LTE or One X, but we can't always get what we want. Well, actually I could but still... I already went the hacked phone route once, not looking forward to doing it again, and I'm certainly not interested in paying full Sprint rate, which makes the Evo 3d, perfect in it's own way. It does the job I want, at the price I want.

Upvote 0
I found several Interenet discussions that talk about being able to force ota updates on various Android devices by using the following steps:
  1. Navitage to Settings -> Apps.
  2. Select the option to see All applications.
  3. Tap on Google Services Framework
  4. Click clear Data -> OK.
  5. Click Force Stop -> OK.
  6. Check the date on the System Updates page
Has anyone tried this on the EVO and does it work?

Upvote 0
I found several Interenet discussions that talk about being able to force ota updates on various Android devices by using the following steps:
  1. Navitage to Settings -> Apps.
  2. Select the option to see All applications.
  3. Tap on Google Services Framework
  4. Click clear Data -> OK.
  5. Click Force Stop -> OK.
  6. Check the date on the System Updates page
Has anyone tried this on the EVO and does it work?

Unfort does not work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones